How do i get my graphics card working???

Mc2203

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2017
Hello. I am a having trouble with installing my graphics card in a computer desktop. My dad had a desktop and gave it to me. I wiped out all the data and i just want to play video games and stream the web with it. The desktop is an HP p7-1227c. The graphics card i bought is the Gigabyte Radeon Rx 460 Windforce 2gb DDR5. The specs of the computer and GPU are in the link bellow. I bought a dvi to dvi dual link cable and and installed the GPU into the PCIE x16 slot and connected the dvi cable to the gpu and monitor. When i turn the desktop and monitor on, the desktop runs fine but the monitor says no signal and then turns of. When i take out the graphics card and connect the dvi cables the computer works fine. I know that the cable isnt the problem so what is. Maybe its that i need to disable onBoard graphics or its something about the motherboard. IDK. Please help me. I really want to play my games.

Desktop specs:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03348828

GPU:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/08/08/gigabyte-radeon-rx-460-windforce-2x-oc-2gb/1

Please answer ASAP

Pkai92

Respectable
Oct 20, 2016
I guess that you should check your BIOS settings. Navigate to the Primary Display option and check what it states. If it states on-board graphics, then i guess should switch it to the other option.

Definitely the first thing to check is that onboard graphics is no longer the primary adapter. The other possible thing is you have secure boot on, which prevents you from installing the card. Switch that off temporarily to install the card if it's on. Finally, you say you bought a cable, wny? Didn't your monitor already have one?

Mc2203

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2017
My monitor came with a vga cable but i needed either a DVI or HDMI cable so i bought a DVI cable. I have a family friend guy come and check everything out since he works with computers. We looked at the specs and everything and he concluded that the reason was that i didnt have enough power from my power supply to power it up. It needs minimum 350W while i only had 300W. If that doesnt work he said that it just isnt compatible with my system. Thanks anyway. I appreciate your help.

schaft

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Yeah, HP only has 300 watt power supply. But 460 use less than 75W, so your psu should hold for a while but might not suffice for playing games. The problem is you cannot even start with it. Make sure you only have 1HDD and not using dvdrom, then the 300W psu should do just fine. If your friend who knows hardware already concluded the psu is the main problem (i do not agree though), the you should claim the warranty of the new graphic card.

Have you tried to use the graphic card on your friends pc? just to make sure it works.

Mc2203

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2017
I got a power supply, 480w to be exact, but my graphics card still doesnt work. I dont know what i should i do now. Maybe i should take it to an IT guy. Is there a way that it can be the monitor itself that is the problem. Maybe the monitor isnt able to read my gpu or something.

Mc2203

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2017
Btw, i bought a dvi to hdmi adapter and connected it to my monitor. I then tried to plugg in my desktop with the gpu using the gpu's hdmi output. It still didnt work. I wanted to see if it was actually the gpu so i also connected my PS3 to the monitor using hdmi. There the monitor would reciever a signal but there wasnt a display of the bootup screen for the playstation. The screen just stayed black. Im very confused now. Is it the gpu or the monitor. HELP!!!!

Mc2203

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2017
[strike][strike][strike][/strike][/strike][/strike]Schaft, and if it is my monitors fault, what would be wrong with my monitor and what monitor should i get or should i just get a tv.

schaft

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Well its up to you whether to buy monitor or TV. For my case, I use my older TV (was 42" now 50"). Its sucks to be stuck at 1080p 60 fps, but my eyes cannot differentiate between 60 fps and 120 fps anyway. Monitor that support above 1080p usually as expensive as 42" anyway. So for my case, i prefer to use the money to buy 65" led tv for my daily use and use the older 50" tv for monitor. Its all depend to your own reference (room availability, money, and your liking). I like my tv big because I also use my PC to watch anime and movies.

Good luck.