Question How do I get my monitors to extend?

Mar 19, 2021
I have two monitors a BenQ GW2470 and an HP 2211. I can duplicate the screens without issue, but once I try to extend the screen the taskbar disappears then constantly glitches in and out and the desktop icons do the same, also the second screen flickers to black constantly. The settings window I have open is not affected and allows me to return it to duplicate which stops the glitching. I have new cables one screen uses a dvi cable and the other uses hdmi both connected to the graphics card which is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. I have used the windows 10 display settings, the PROJECT panel and the nvidia control panel to try and extend the screen the same problem occurs every time. I have reinstalled the drivers for the monitors and the card nothing makes a difference what am I doing wrong?

The specs are:
Windows 10 64 bit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
32 gb ram
GTX 1070Ti Graphics card
PSU: Corsair CX650 650W bought new 17 April 2020

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

What audio connections are being used?

How are you extending or trying to extend the screens?

Are you using "WIN" + "P" > then selecting from the PROJECT panel that appears? (Selection choices being PC screen only, Duplicate, Extend, amd PC second screen only.)

Also if you right click on an empty area of the desktop you should be able to gain access to the applicable GPU Control Panel. In your case that is the GTX 1070Ti.

Check your Control Panel choices and options therein.

InvalidError

Titan
When you extend the desktop to extra monitors, you have the option of showing the whole taskbar on all displays, have the taskbar only include apps on each respective monitor or have the taskbar only on the primary monitor.

I've been using multi-monitor since Windows 95 and don't remember ever having any issues with it.