How do I get my NetGear WNCE2001 Adapter to recognise my TP-Link Wireless Extender?

Meg19464

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
I have bought TP-Link Extender to enable wireless connection inside the house. The router is in the office. This works well but today I purchased a NETGEAR WNCE2001 WiFi Internet Adaptor to connect my Sony Bravia TV (which is also inside the house) to the internet. This is battling to see the extender and I am at a loss on what to do now?

Solution
You state that the WNCE is battling to see the extender. From that statement I assume that your wifi coverage isn't strong enough for the WNCE to get a good lock. The WNCE2001 has modest receive range. I have used several and they need to be placed in an area that has good signal strength. Anything marginal and it will drop off the net.

If you can't improve the signal strength near the TV I would suggest looking at using Powerline system to get the net to the TV. It will cost a bit more then the WNCE2001 but may resolve your issue best as with a good install (ie no power line noise to corrupt it) it will give you more bandwidth then the WNCE2001.

Another option I will add though as it worked for me is if you use a Netgear...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable
There are 2 main ways to get the Netgear to connect to your network.

One way is to use the WPS button on the extender and the Netgear to automatically establish a secure connection.

The other way involves first connecting the Netgear to a computer and manually configuring the device to establish a network connection. If the WPS method does not work, I would recommend configuring it this way to ensure the device works on a PC before connecting it to a TV. Your owner's manual explains how to do this.

If you are having some other issue, you may need to elaborate further for more assistance.

bobsilver

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
You state that the WNCE is battling to see the extender. From that statement I assume that your wifi coverage isn't strong enough for the WNCE to get a good lock. The WNCE2001 has modest receive range. I have used several and they need to be placed in an area that has good signal strength. Anything marginal and it will drop off the net.

If you can't improve the signal strength near the TV I would suggest looking at using Powerline system to get the net to the TV. It will cost a bit more then the WNCE2001 but may resolve your issue best as with a good install (ie no power line noise to corrupt it) it will give you more bandwidth then the WNCE2001.

Another option I will add though as it worked for me is if you use a Netgear WN2000RPT (which is a repeater but is also a bridge like the WNCE2001) it has a much better receive capability. This may be able to get you over the hump. http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WN2000RPT-Universal-Range-Extender/dp/B0089E2FZC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1411579304&sr=8-4&keywords=netgear+repeater $20 on Amazon!

Bob Silver
NETGEAR Networking Assistant

Solution