[SOLVED] How do I get my new Dell computer to recognize my ASUS monitor ?

longtimealaskan

Prominent
Feb 27, 2022
I have an ASUS PA48Q monitor. It works fine on my old Dell computer via a VGA cable. I bought new Dell computer and connected it to the monitor via HDMI cable. It doesn't recognize my ASUS monitor. Dell says my monitor is bad because it doesn't recognize my computer. I thought it was the reverse of that, that the computer doesn't recognize the monitor. I talked to Asus. They said it was the computer.

Dell said my monitor was bad because the menu won't open. The menu works fine on my old Dell Computer. The reason the menu doesn't work for the new computer is because the computer has no recognized connection with the monitor.

Anyone have any suggestions how to get the computer to recognize the monitor.

Solution
I did connect my Dell laptop to the monitor via HDMI cable but the monitor wasn't recognized by the laptop computer either.
using the same cable or a different one? maybe try another HDMI cable.

not same Dell XPS but maybe related

The XPS 15 9570 has a known issue where the HDMI output can't work with DVI displays. I doubt you're using DVI on the display, but I'm wondering if there might be something else going on with that output. If you're not using the USB-C port for something else, as a workaround you could try to connect to your LG display using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-not-detecting-external-monitor/td-p/7638947

Colif

Win 11 Master
its so much fun when they blame each other and don't offer a solution

is this the monitor? I can't find a PA48Q

have you tried another monitor on the Dell?
What Model dell is it?

longtimealaskan

Prominent
Feb 27, 2022
Thank you for responding to my questions.

That monitor looks like a newer version of mine. I've had mine for a few years now.

The Dell computer is a desktop XPS 8940.

I don't have another monitor to try. I did connect my Dell laptop to the monitor via HDMI cable but the monitor wasn't recognized by the laptop either.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did connect my Dell laptop to the monitor via HDMI cable but the monitor wasn't recognized by the laptop computer either.

The XPS 15 9570 has a known issue where the HDMI output can't work with DVI displays. I doubt you're using DVI on the display, but I'm wondering if there might be something else going on with that output. If you're not using the USB-C port for something else, as a workaround you could try to connect to your LG display using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-not-detecting-external-monitor/td-p/7638947

Solution

longtimealaskan

Prominent
Feb 27, 2022
Thank you for responding to my questions.

That monitor looks like a newer version of mine. I've had mine for a few years now.

The Dell computer is a desktop XPS 8940.

I don't have another monitor to try. I did connect my Dell laptop to the monitor via HDMI cable but the monitor wasn't recognized by the laptop computer either.

I did use the same HDMI cable but it is a new cable. I also have a second new HDMI cable so I installed that one on the XPS 8940 computer. It didn't work either.

My monitor has a button that "selects an available input source". When I click on that button a message flashes on the monitor "VGA no signal". As I mentioned I used a VGA cable to connect my old computer to the monitor. It looks like the monitor is expecting the the old computer with the VGA cable and there is no recognition of the HDMI cable connection.

I thought I included this in my first post but I don't see it. The XPS computer came with a brochure that shows how to connect the monitor. It shows a horizontal panel with 4 ports, one of which is an HDMI port, located on the lower half of the XPS case on the back side. The HDMI cable plugs into that HDMI port, not the HDMI port close to the top of the computer. The problem is my XPS computer does not have that horizontal panel with the 4 ports. I asked the Dell guy about that and he said that didn't come with my computer. When I was searching online for an answer I ran across an item that said you do not use the upper HDMI port to plug in the monitor. It said if the computer has a discrete graphics card the monitor needs to be plugged in to the graphics port and not into the upper HDMI port. My graphics card is standard so this probably doesn't apply, but I thought I would mention it. My computer doesn't have that panel anyhow .

I don't have a USB-C cable but if you think it might work I could get one. How does a USB-C cable connect to a Display port cable? I do have a display port cable and I tried that but with no success.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try resetting monitor?

[ProArt Display] How to reset your monitor to the factory setting ?

Please open the OSD menu, and find [All Reset] in [System Setup]. Select [Yes] to complete.

When I was searching online for an answer I ran across an item that said you do not use the upper HDMI port to plug in the monitor. It said if the computer has a discrete graphics card the monitor needs to be plugged in to the graphics port and not into the upper HDMI port. My graphics card is standard so this probably doesn't apply, but I thought I would mention it. My computer doesn't have that panel anyhow .
the top panel is if its on the motherboard. hence its vertical as it matches up with back plate of the motherboard. Not all CPU/Motherboards have the display options.

According to this it should have HDMI and DP on back plate - https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-au/xps-8940-desktop/xps-8940-setup-and-specifications/gpu—integrated?guid=guid-013ac1ea-b06f-4de8-83b0-cbd3520605b2&lang=en-us

and any number of different GPU - https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-au/xps-8940-desktop/xps-8940-setup-and-specifications/gpu—discrete?guid=guid-d6248aeb-4661-44f3-84d0-9c79f6dcd32c&lang=en-us

If you have a discrete card you always use it over mb graphics. It is way better.

The GPU is going to be a horizontal line of Display ports of HDMI at bottom of case, or below the vertical panel anyway. A photo of what you have would remove any doubt. Upload to an image sharing site and show here.

Last edited:
I did use the same HDMI cable but it is a new cable. I also have a second new HDMI cable so I installed that one on the XPS 8940 computer. It didn't work either.

My monitor has a button that "selects an available input source". When I click on that button a message flashes on the monitor "VGA no signal". As I mentioned I used a VGA cable to connect my old computer to the monitor. It looks like the monitor is expecting the the old computer with the VGA cable and there is no recognition of the HDMI cable connection.

I thought I included this in my first post but I don't see it. The XPS computer came with a brochure that shows how to connect the monitor. It shows a horizontal panel with 4 ports, one of which is an HDMI port, located on the lower half of the XPS case on the back side. The HDMI cable plugs into that HDMI port, not the HDMI port close to the top of the computer. The problem is my XPS computer does not have that horizontal panel with the 4 ports. I asked the Dell guy about that and he said that didn't come with my computer. When I was searching online for an answer I ran across an item that said you do not use the upper HDMI port to plug in the monitor. It said if the computer has a discrete graphics card the monitor needs to be plugged in to the graphics port and not into the upper HDMI port. My graphics card is standard so this probably doesn't apply, but I thought I would mention it. My computer doesn't have that panel anyhow .

I don't have a USB-C cable but if you think it might work I could get one. How does a USB-C cable connect to a Display port cable? I do have a display port cable and I tried that but with no success.

Not sure what you have on the computer from the post, if you have a video card, then the HDMI cable to the monitor needs to be in the video card not the motherboard output since that is likely disabled. If you don't have an add on video card in the system then use the HDMI connection on the motherboard.

You may want to have a friend come by to see what you are doing also that knows a bit about computers, you may be just not doing something right with the monitor setup in Windows.

You need to push the button several times until it changes to HDMI.

This sounds like a simple case of not selecting the correct input on the monitor.

Blackink

Distinguished
You need to push the button several times until it changes to HDMI.

This sounds like a simple case of not selecting the correct input on the monitor.
And if that doesn't work, plug the Asus monio5tr into the old Dell PC via the VGA cable (this is supposed to work from your description above.
Then start pushing the buttons on the monitor to select the HDMI connection (even though it's not connected via an HDMI cable), you might be able to get that choice. If so, then you should be able to plug the monitor, via an HDMI cable, into the new Dell PC.
Good Luck.

TRENDING THREADS