How do I get my newer GPU to work on my Ancient build

Minus-

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Hello everybody.

I greatly appreciate any help I can get.

I know I'm probably doing a lot of newbie mistakes..
So I have a really old HP u6155cn:
Motherboard: Asus P5LP-LE (leonite2)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (2GHz)
2 GB RAM
GPU: Nvidia 8400 GS (probably broken)

As a Hobby I'm trying to understand and setup this PC with the Old GPU of my own PC, a Radeon HD 5870.

The computer did not work with the 8400 GS. it did boot, but did not display anything anymore. I'm guessing I burnt the 8400 GS, because I had clear signs of GPU failure on the screen, before the PC stopped working.

Now that I tried the HD 5870 i still have nothing on the display.

Using the on-board Graphics I already updated the BIOS, thinking there might be a problem with the compatibility here. (BIOS Update from 2012 says HP)
I also have a new 650W PSU, so that shouldn't be the problem either.

My last guess is, that either the motherboard is broken, or the PCIe x16 Slot, or my the HD 5870 is not compatible with my motherboard..

Solution
If you're planning to use a graphics card, then yes, I think you'll have to replace the motherboard.

Before doing so, though, test your HD 5870 on another motherboard to make sure that a) it is working, and b) the GPU isn't the problem. There isn't any harm in making sure the GPU is working correctly.

Minus-

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

What do I do in this situation? Buy a new motherboard?
This motherboard only has 1 PCIe slot unfortunately...

If you're planning to use a graphics card, then yes, I think you'll have to replace the motherboard.

Before doing so, though, test your HD 5870 on another motherboard to make sure that a) it is working, and b) the GPU isn't the problem. There isn't any harm in making sure the GPU is working correctly.

Solution

Minus-

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Alright, thank you! Last I checked the GPU was working fine in another computer, but will test again.

Minus-

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Hello again,

so I bought a new Mainboard, but the Problem persists...
No beeping, all fans spinning, cpu and ram reseated a few times..
I also tested the GPU on my main Build and it worked flawlessly.

Does anyone have another Idea? Except the off-chance that the PCIe slot of the new Mobo is also not working?