how do i get my pc to connect to the internet?

MACGYVR

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Hi all! i just biult this pc and i have it hooked up via ethernet it does not recocnise it!!! do i need new drivers? ifso how do i get them.
i am using win 7 and need internet to update the os and bios please help! :)

First, more than likely the version of the OS on your laptop is licensed for your laptop and only your laptop, meaning you can't install it on another PC. It was sold with the laptop and should be included if resold, so that part of what you want to do is illegal and won't get any help on Toms'.

With that said, the factory setting image probably has the drivers, etc, installed for the laptop and won't work anyways and would probably blue screen.

nockers

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
You cant just take out the OS, and windows will have to be reinstalled to work on different hardware anyway.
So no free OS, and NO you cant just remove the "laptop stuff".

Obviously to connect to the internet you will need a working pc.

USAFRet

Titan
For multiple reasons, you can't clone a laptop drive to a desktop hard drive and hope it works.

1. Licensing - that OS is almost certainly licensed directly to that laptop motherboard. Won't work with new hardware.
2. Operation - this is no different than simply taking the laptop drive out, putting it in the new desktop, and hoping it boots. 99-1 against that working.
3. Even if 1 & 2 are not considerations, now you have a laptop with no OS.

Solution? Sell the laptop with the current drive and OS to fund a new OS purchase for your new desktop.