How do i get my PC to detect my PS3 HDD so that i can use it on my PC?

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
My 8 year old 40GB PS# got the yellow light of death about a year ago so i just put it away and got a new one and put a 1TB HDD in the sucker. But i mean i know it is only 40GB but why let it go to waste when i can use it just for music or something. It is a Seagate 2.5 40GB SATA HDD LD25.2 and i want to use it on my PC but my PC will not pick it up, how do i make it so my PC can detect the HDD? The HDD is in perfect condition from what i know of.

Have you connected it to your motherboard sata port and power supply? Are the connectors in tight? Can you see it in bios? Can you see it in Device Manager? Is it said to be working properly? Can you see it in Disk Manager? Have you formatted it? Can you see it in Windows Explorer?

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

The thing is, is i do not know how to format it. But other than that i have done all of the above you have stated. It says it works properly but the only place i can see it is in the device manager. I can not access the HDD or do anything with it. The only option there is to update the driver and when i do click it it says the hdd is up to date

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

Ok when i went to it a thing poped up saying You must initialize a disk before logical disk manager can use it.
And it shows my 40GB hard drive as 37.13GB Unllocated.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, that is the right size on an advertised 40GB drive.
Initialize
Format
Give it a drive letter