Question how do i get my thin mini itx motherboard to work with regular parts

theaccountemail

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
i bought a thin mini itx motherboard, assuming that it would function identically to a mini itx motherboard. i was wrong. it doesn't have a 24 pin connector, only a 4 pin. at first i just plugged the 4 pin into it, and whenever the power supply was plugged into the wall, it's fan would run at max whether or not the computer was actually on. when i "turned on" the computer, the cpu fan would run at max, and the case's on light would turn on, but nothing else would happen. no video, no beeps. sometimes it would restart itself. i got an external power brick, and that allowed me to properly turn the computer on. however, the internal power supply would still run it's fans at max. the graphics card also ran it's fans at max, but the graphics card and hard drive still wouldn't actually work. when i took out the internal power supply, the computer still ran off of the external power brick, but the graphics card and hard drive don't receive any power at all now. how do i get this computer to work? why won't it work? the motherboard is an asrock imb-1215.

Yes, that's my help. In the same way as you can't upgrade the Corolla, you can't feed 400watts thru DC power input, to run your fancy GPU there (unless you take the risk of running second ATX PSU just to power GPU and disks, taking care to turn it on at exactly the moment the other PSU says OK).

That ITX board was designed with other usage scenarios, and 1000fps gaming rig was not among them. Again - there are pretty capable ITX boards you could use for serious gaming, just not this one.

Thank you for the down-vote, though ;)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I agree, this isn't something you should do.

When asking for advice, best to list all components.

But if all you need is power to the system components, turn the power supply on and hook it up to those components. Just need to short pins 15 and 16 on the ATX connector, and it will turn on. Not really designed to run like that though.

Motherboard is likely generating a minimal 5V and 3.3V for most things, but if your chosen GPU draws too much power through the slot, the system may pop.

You would need to use an appropriate sized DC input with enough wattage for the CPU +75W for GPU load, and little incidentals like fans and the M.2 drives. So a 200W brick to be safe. Not really going to be that economical compared to returning the motherboard and getting a proper one.