[SOLVED] How do I get over the fear of building my PC?

Apr 1, 2019
Hey, I'm 14 years old and I don't have a ton of money to drop on a PC. That being said, I'm extremely scared of building my own PC, and I can't go anywhere in my city to find someone who can build it for me. I've watched a ton of video on this matter, but I'm still scared. I've tried to build a PC in the past, but I failed, broke a part, and wasted a chunk of money. How do you get out of this fear?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Befferson/saved/MLGr6h (My Build, I only need the CPU and the GPU)

Solution
And no worries about breaking anything, as long as you keep some simple things in mind:
Handle your components with care, especially when it comes to contacts/pins. Especially the CPU will need absolutely no force to get on the socket. If you feel you need to use force, something's wrong. A CPU just falls into place. On the other hand, do not be afraid of using force to plug in the power cables in the motherboard and seat the RAM. Fasten screws tightly, but do not overdo it. After too tight comes too loose (screws or threads break). Always work on a table, wooden floor or similar, never on the carpet, as you do not want static discharges to ruin your components.
You should always start with a breadboard setup, so you can easily find...
You'll do fine! Just keep watching those videos and take your time. If you have a question or run into a problem, stop and ask here. You won't make the same mistake that you made last time. Don't get in a hurry and don't force anything. Remember your first step is to put the IO shield in the case (so you don't put the motherboard in first.) Study your MB manual before the rest of your parts arrive. You can download it and study it anywhere. You may be able to find some videos building in your same case. Good luck!

poisonite101

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
Yea, don't worry man, the only way to get over it is to just do it. What helped me the most on my first build was finding a video of someone building a semi-similar system and watch that as I built mine. If you find a super detailed one it really helps keep yourself in line.
Also, that's a pretty solid entry level build, but I'd highly recommend you add a cheap SSD in the future, the speed difference is night and day. Personally, I've had good luck with the Adata SU800 in either the 128 or 256gb sizes. It's not the fastest drive on the market but it performs really well for its price bracket.

How do you get out of this fear?
By not breaking the parts. : P

Just take your time and be careful when handling the components, I suppose.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Befferson/saved/MLGr6h (My Build, I only need the CPU and the GPU)
Have you ordered the GPU yet? If not, it might be worth going with an RX 570, RX 580, or GTX 1060, as they offer more performance, and can typically be found for a similar price, or in some cases less.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
And no worries about breaking anything, as long as you keep some simple things in mind:
Handle your components with care, especially when it comes to contacts/pins. Especially the CPU will need absolutely no force to get on the socket. If you feel you need to use force, something's wrong. A CPU just falls into place. On the other hand, do not be afraid of using force to plug in the power cables in the motherboard and seat the RAM. Fasten screws tightly, but do not overdo it. After too tight comes too loose (screws or threads break). Always work on a table, wooden floor or similar, never on the carpet, as you do not want static discharges to ruin your components.
You should always start with a breadboard setup, so you can easily find out, whether the machine works or not, without having to take everything out of the case again. Chances of breaking something vital are much higher, if you have to disassemble the whole thing repeatedly.
And, most importantly and as was mentioned before: Do not rush! Everybody wants to get their new PC going as fast as possible, but chances are, if you rush things, it will take you two days longer, because you missed something, etc. and have to find and fix the mistake.

P.S.: And when you finally put the motherboard into the case, don't forget the stand-offs and make sure that you only have those stand-offs in the case that you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearmann
Solution