How do I get rid of error code 6F or bF in Asus Maximus VIII Extreme?

Chronioum

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Hi guys,

Need your help on how to get rid of code 6F or bF in Asus Maximus VIII Extreme?
Most information I've read online is about memory compatibility issue, I'm using 32Gb
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x16Gb 3000Mhz PC24000

I already updated my bios with latest version, what else do I need to do?
Please help, thanks guys.

Solution
Hi Chronioum :) You may need to clear your CMOS although this should have been done when you updated to latest version.

Qcode bf means there was an issue during memory training and you need to tune the system in Bios to get it stable for POST.
Also: 32GB at 3000MHz is a lot to ask of your IMC. It is not a JDEC standard and considered an OC, so you may have to make Bios changes to Voltage and Primary Timings. You may also have to increase VCore voltage and drop Dimms frequency to 2133MHz.
Are you able to access your Bios.? If not then try just one DIMM in first slot to at least see if the system boots. Try also to switch modules around. If Post continues to fail then Swap out the Dimms to a less demanding kit and see if that helps.
Hi Chronioum :) You may need to clear your CMOS although this should have been done when you updated to latest version.

Qcode bf means there was an issue during memory training and you need to tune the system in Bios to get it stable for POST.
Also: 32GB at 3000MHz is a lot to ask of your IMC. It is not a JDEC standard and considered an OC, so you may have to make Bios changes to Voltage and Primary Timings. You may also have to increase VCore voltage and drop Dimms frequency to 2133MHz.
Are you able to access your Bios.? If not then try just one DIMM in first slot to at least see if the system boots. Try also to switch modules around. If Post continues to fail then Swap out the Dimms to a less demanding kit and see if that helps.

Solution

Chronioum

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Just saw the QVL memory compatibility list in the Asus manual, it does not state my Corsair Dominator Memory (CMD32GX4M2B3000C15), so I guess pcpartpicker.com was wrong because I checked it before I build my PC.

I'm going to try MeanMachine41's recommendation, hopefully it'll work. But so far I have not encounter any issues with the PC, everything is running smoothly and Windows 10 recognizes the memory, just simply the error code that wont disappear. Thanks guys.

Nehalem_1

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

on bios,you should disable thunderbolt support,then its ok

lorryman100

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Thank you Nehalem_1 this solved the bf Q code on my Maximus 8 Extreme, now I get AO once windows loads.

@Chronioum: I know this post is a little out of date but I got this error 6F or bF running 4 x 8gb Dominator platinum CMD16GX4M2B3000C15. The pc posted and booted into windows 10 with this Q Code,