Status
Not open for further replies.

keeganscottbryan

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
i have headphones plugged into my pc but its not in playback devices even though i have "show disabled devices" ON. and i know vga is display only but there was sound before, but as soon as i installed a gpu the sound dissapeared.. P.S i have the vga cable in my gpu not pc

Solution
I had this issue before, fix was to get rid of the card with HDMI. Not really a fix, but the computer refused to run the onboard sound in any way with the video card with HDMI. Installed a card without HDMI, onboard audio worked. You can check your BIOS options and see if it's maybe disabled there. I don't remember if I did that on the computer I had issue with.

You can try an add-on sound card, that may do it.

keeganscottbryan

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017

with headphones but after i put my gpu in they didnt work UPDATE: i took my gpu out and then sound worked fine but now i cant use my gpu

keeganscottbryan

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017

i tried that also, btw i took gpu out and sound worked via headphones but then i plugged it back in and the HD audio device (headphones) dissapeared without a trace

Giroro

Splendid
Can you uninstall the HDMI audio drivers for your GPU? Does installing the GPU add an audio device to the list, and the the headphones reappear if you disable that device?

Does your integrated sound disappear from device manager as well as the playback devices? Is "Speakers" (HD audio device) still available as an option in the playback devices?

keeganscottbryan

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017

ill try uninstaliing hdmi drivers. the gpu does put an "AMD HDMI OUTPUT" and then my speakers and headphones dissapear

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
WITH the video card installed and working, look in Device Manager. You should be able to see TWO sound output devices - one in the video card plus one (often Realtek) on the mobo. There should NOT be a yellow triangle flag beside either of them. If either does have a yellow flag, you probably need to re-install its driver.

If the mobo sound chip does NOT appear in Device Manager, use the Action top menu bar item to choose to Scan for New Devices, to see if that will find the mobo sound system and install its driver. Back out when done.

Now through Control Panel go to Sounds and Audio Devices and to the screen where you can specify which Default Sound Playback device Windows will use. It may well be set to the system on your video card because that's what the vid card's Install routine might have done to you. Change that to use the Realtek (or whatever) system on your mobo. Back out. Now try getting sound through your front panel (earphones?) and through the rear panel audio jacks.

keeganscottbryan

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017

thank you for trying to help, however there is no realtek or anything there. only the gpu sound. i have tried installing realtek drivers and everything but still nothing. after i reinstalled my gpu my headphones just went. but before i got the gpu they were working fine

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Another POSSIBILITY to check. SOME video cards with their own sound chips on board (to feed audio via the HDMI cable) ALSO have their own sound output jacks on their back panels. These are separate from the jacks on the mobo's back panel. OR, there might be a non-standard connector on the vid card's back panel that is to be used with a cable breakout adapter to give you access to signals. Does you video card have anything like that?

keeganscottbryan

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017

no, only HDMI,VGA and some other weird input

keeganscottbryan

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017

System Model: HP Compaq dc7900 Small Form Factor

and i've tried loads of different headphones so thats not the problem

I had this issue before, fix was to get rid of the card with HDMI. Not really a fix, but the computer refused to run the onboard sound in any way with the video card with HDMI. Installed a card without HDMI, onboard audio worked. You can check your BIOS options and see if it's maybe disabled there. I don't remember if I did that on the computer I had issue with.

You can try an add-on sound card, that may do it.

Reactions: GerasisD
Solution

keeganscottbryan

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017

i cant really afford anything yet as a 14 yr old lol but ty for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.