[SOLVED] How do I get the best airflow & cooling for my custom case?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2808222
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2808222

I’m thinking of building a custom case that will have 24 x 120mm fans attached to it.
I’ll use dust filters where the fans are.
Noise doesn’t matter, performance matters!
I’m not sure which type of fans I should use for best possible cooling, ST or AF fans?
I’m attaching 3 pictures to show a rough idea of what I’m thinking of and would love to receive some feedback/assistance!
Is there a way that I can improve the airflow or cooling?

View: https://imgur.com/a/J0WjQoW

Also, does anyone know if a case made out of wood would decrease the performance of the cooling somehow?

Solution
24 fans is definitely excessive.
Exhaust fans do not need dust filters. Only intake fans need that.
PC cases are made from metal, to reduce electromagnetic interference to and from pc components.
Wooden case would need at least thin metal plate/film inside.
D

Deleted member 2808222

This computer will mostly be used for Music Production inside FL Studio, 4K Rendering in After Effects and Photo Editing in Photoshop / Lightroom.

PC cases are made from metal, to reduce electromagnetic interference to and from pc components.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2808222

Okay, I think I’ll use dust filters for the front and bottom then (where the air comes into the case).
Do you think it would work if I used an aluminum sheet behind the motherboard?

D

Deleted member 2808222

Just like any other case, in one end, out the other end.

And I'd bet that 6 or 8 fans, done right, would be just as effective as 24. And quieter.
Should I go with fewer fans or is there a way that I can make all of these 24 fans more effective? It doesn’t matter how noisy it’d get!

D

Deleted member 2808222

Seems to me that noise from the case would have a negative impact on music production.

Why 120mm fans?
Why not larger...140mm?

From your design pic, it looks as though a couple of those intake fans would simply be feeding the exhaust right next to it.
Will bigger fans give the computer better cooling? I want whatever size gives the best cooling performance.

It doesn’t matter how much noise the computer will make because I’ll construct a room inside a room that will soundproof a lot of the outside noise. The computer will not be inside this room / studio so I won’t therefore hear it.

I think I understand what you’re describing about the intake fans that are close to the exhaust fans. I can probably come up with different ways of fixing that.

Would you recommend static pressure fans, airflow fans or both?

USAFRet

Titan
Those corner things probably aren't needed.

But, we out here don't know the size, orientation of the components inside, which specific components, etc, etc, etc.
And it would be impossible to "predict" from just a list of the components.

You're building a PC case. Its just a box to hold the components.
Model it on all the existing cases, but with your own tweaks and materials.

I suspect you're overthinking this.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Status
Not open for further replies.