Question How do I get this dent out of my case!?

inkydink815

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017
If the dent is accessible from the inside of the case, and there's sufficient headroom to gently swing a medium hammer, here's what I would try:

Place the case on a piece of flat shelving board, with the dented panel resting outer face down on the shelving board.

Find or make a short piece of wood which has a flat, smooth end and hold it against the dent whilst you gently hammer it around the dented area.

Keep checking outside of panel to see how it's coming along. It'll never be perfect but shouldn't be far off if done patiently.

Reactions: Satan-IR

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That's exactly the way I'd go about fixing that.

I'd like to add one small point. You might want to place some fabric or a thickish towel under the panel that you're going to rest on the shelving board or even in available apply some thick bearing grease on the outer side and cover it with some fabric/towel so that when you're hitting it with a hammer the paint on the other side won't pop off.

If the paint is applied properly though it's not that likely to come off. Also with the panel resting face down on the boards there's not that much room for vibration of the metal plate but it wouldn't hurt I guess to try what I said to minimize vibrations that can make the paint pop off.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

inkydink815

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017
If the dent is accessible from the inside of the case, and there's sufficient headroom to gently swing a medium hammer, here's what I would try:

Place the case on a piece of flat shelving board, with the dented panel resting outer face down on the shelving board.

Find or make a short piece of wood which has a flat, smooth end and hold it against the dent whilst you gently hammer it around the dented area.

Keep checking outside of panel to see how it's coming along. It'll never be perfect but shouldn't be far off if done patiently.

Accessing the dent may be difficult; I’d have to remove the metal cube thing that holds the disc drive. Definitely possible. I’ll give it a good shot.

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
you can tap at 45 ish degree angle (or whatever feels good if the bend is more pronounced on one face than the other) with a large tip flat screwdriver and taps from a small hammer. (to make it work better, a large blade must be used so it references a larger surface.. a small tip screwdriver might poke nubs and create new bumps, i'd get a cold chisel or a masonry chisel - blunt with large tip angle double bevel edge and are wide to cover the dent and not poke tiny bumbs)
From what i can see it is very accesible as you can angle any chisel type at almost full range.

Another low tech approach is to make use of a small piece of angle iron. (with a crisp outside corner). Place it inside in that corner over the dent and to tap it you can use any rod (a screwdriver and hammer, a piece of rod of some sort that can fish through the nooks and holes of the cage without removing it.