How do I give proper Administrator rights to a user account?

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Hello.
It's come to my attention that Windows decided to create some mystical Administrator account and lock my previous account out of lots of very useful apps and features.

I've found this article:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-app-has-been-blocked-your-protection-windows-10

Would the "How to disable the hidden administrator account" section work for what I'm trying to do? I'd just like one account, and for it to have complete rule over the machine.

If I disable this evil creature of an account, will it provide my actual proper account all of the rights it used to have?

Solution
which version of win 10 are you on?

right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter

If it is anything before 1703, go here and click the update now button. It will download the upgrade assistant, run it and it will install latest build of win 10 and maybe fix this

If you already on 1703, try this - the expanded version of DISM
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't remove the hidden built in admin unless you don't want windows to work at all.

You can't have full control of everything for same reason as above, windows doesn't work if you do.

What is wrong with your current user? Is it seen as admin user?

What files can't you use?

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Ok.

It is seen as an Admin, but I am unable to open the Services application. It gives me the error "This app has been blocked for you protection. An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator."

I'd like to be able to use the Services app without having to switch to the hidden administrator.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, all fixes say to enable built in admin to run it but that isn't what i would call a good solution for this long term.

Try making a new local user, make it admin and see if it has same problems - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/instantanswers/5de907f1-f8ba-4fd9-a89d-efd23fee918c/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-10

it could be your user is corrupted, or the install is.

See if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

user problems are an ongoing problem with win 10 and I would love to know how to fix them.

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Aye, I'd like to have access to the programs without going through hoops.

Creating a new Local Admin didn't work. How should I go about removing the account, as it's not going to be used?

Ok, SFC finished and gave the message

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

DISM finished and says

Path :
Online : False
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of win 10 are you on?

right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter

If it is anything before 1703, go here and click the update now button. It will download the upgrade assistant, run it and it will install latest build of win 10 and maybe fix this

If you already on 1703, try this - the expanded version of DISM
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

it may not help since DISM reported image as healthy,

You may need to think about a reset but choose to wipe it all and start afresh, as I don't know if keeping files and settings would help if its creating users that don't have full access to PC, so no point keeping them for next install. Resets only effect C drive, you would need to reinstall all programs again. So copy anything off C you want to keep before doing it.

Solution

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Yeah, I'm running 1703. I recently updated from 1603, I think. The issue only appeared after I updated. Windows seems to have gotten rid of my restore point, though...

Nah, I'd rather not reinstall Windows or my programs, so I won't be doing any of that.

This error only appears on a few of the applications, so It's not too huge of an issue. I'd just like to get it fixed if I can. But if I have to reinstall Windows, I'd much rather not.

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Oh, that's great.
How do I run the extended version?

Should I restart before running anything?

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Oh ok.
Thanks for all your help, even though we didn't exactly find a solution that's guaranteed to work. The reinstall of Windows would probably fix it, but I'm not going to do that. I'll look into the extended DISM method to see if it works or not.