How do I go about selling a used motherboard?

Bugal Jackson

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
It's a gigabyte b150 ds3h. I recently replaced it with a better board,

Is it ok to sell it as is? I mean like, is my windows license stuck to it? Would the board still be useable second-hand because of this? Things like that.

Solution
It wont matter. Just take the coin cell battery out for 15-20 seconds and it'll reset everything anyway, but it'll be easy enough for the buyer to do and you dont need to mention it as long as you mark it as a used board.
Nope, no OS on it. Windows uses your board for identification but theres nothing in the actual firmware. Just reload the default settings in BIOS and it'll have the same factory defaults you got it with. Then you can put on ebay or craigslist or whatever, and the buyer can install their own OS.

Bugal Jackson

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016

Ah I already re-assembled my PC, and put the board inside its box... so should I just sell it as is with a note about doing that?

It wont matter. Just take the coin cell battery out for 15-20 seconds and it'll reset everything anyway, but it'll be easy enough for the buyer to do and you dont need to mention it as long as you mark it as a used board.

Solution
It also doesnt have anything to do with why he is resetting the BIOS settings. That's just to make it factory default. Like I said above, there is nothing OS related in the board's firmware and makes no difference to a new user. What may make a difference are BIOS settings being tailored to the original owner, and it's just an act of courtesy to return to factory default.

TRENDING THREADS