[SOLVED] How do I go into windows, download drivers, and get out like nothing happened?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I don't know if my question made sense.

I'm building a PC for somebody, and I'm wondering if it's possible to hop into windows so I can download all the drivers for the components, maybe set a wallpaper, and then sign out like nothing happened. Meaning my account wouldn't show up on the PC or anything. Just so that the drivers were installed and a wallpaper was set so that when my client logs into the computer she won't have to install the drivers.
If that didn't make sense, please tell me, as I definitely am not the best at explaining anything.
Thanks!

Solution

I'm building a PC for somebody, and I'm wondering if it's possible to hop into windows so I can download all the drivers for the components, maybe set a wallpaper, and then sign out like nothing happened. Meaning my account wouldn't show up on the PC or anything. Just so that the drivers were installed and a wallpaper was set so that when my client logs into the computer she won't have to install the drivers.
If that didn't make sense, please tell me, as I definitely am not the best at explaining anything.
Thanks!
You install with an Admin account (the first account on the system)
You install the drivers
You create another account for the user, either Admin or Standard user
Don't log into...

4745454b

Titan
I'm not sure why that's important. There are two things that should happen when I first turn a PC. Either I get all the welcome and setup screens and I expect there to be driver issues. OR I turn it on and find drivers and wallpaper, etc already there because the guy did that already.

I know with previous versions of windows you could "slip stream" drivers into the install media. Honestly however I'd create a default user and give her the password. I use the clients name and the combo an idiot would have on their luggage because everyone knows that. Simple, easy.

Reactions: Insane Potatoz

USAFRet

Titan

Thanks!
You install the drivers
Don't log into that account
When she cranks it up and logs in with the account you set up for her.. "Hi, we're getting things set up for you" just like a brand new system.
Later, from her Admin account, she can delete the account you used.

Solution

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
You install the drivers
Don't log into that account
When she cranks it up and logs in with the account you set up for her.. "Hi, we're getting things set up for you" just like a brand new system.
Later, from her Admin account, she can delete the account you used.
Okay, so here’s what I’m getting:
  1. I make 2 accounts, one admin and one standard
  2. I log into the admin account and not standard
  3. I install everything I need
  4. She can delete my admin account from her standard account
Is that correct?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, so here’s what I’m getting:
  1. I make 2 accounts, one admin and one standard
  2. I log into the admin account and not standard
  3. I install everything I need
  4. She can delete my admin account from her standard account
Is that correct?
You'll have to make an Admin acct for her.
With that, she can delete your Admin acct.

I only mentioned a Standard user account because that is what I recommend people use on a daily basis.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Admin accounts can do almost anything, Standard accounts are limited so that in general they can't do things that affect the Windows system. Deleting an account is an example of what a Standard user account can not do.
Okay, could she do anything bad to windows by accident with an admin account? I just don’t want her to accidentally break something.

The best way to insure against accidental damage would be to make a full system backup to an external hard drive with something like the free version of Macrium Reflect. That way if something bad happens, you can recover in under 30 minutes.