[SOLVED] How do I ground myself if the outlets here are not grounded

Aug 19, 2020
I live in the Philippines and most of the outlets here are not grounded including ours . When I touch my power supply i got shocked a lil bit (I'm on foot) does it mean when i put a anti static wrist strap on the psu will it ground myself? I'm trying to discrage the static electricty to build my pc

No do not connect a static wrist strap if you're in an non-grounded power system...it is unsafe. It sounds like power is already trying to pass through you.

The best solution would be to contact your local power company or a local electrician and ask their advice on how to deal with the issue...it sounds like your bonding in the house is in question and may need repair.

Just for info - As far as I know there is no such thing as a power system without a ground...if you're getting shocked it's likely you have either an open neutral or an open ground (or both) somewhere at your home. I understand in some cases outlets used to be installed without a ground wire...but if you're getting shocked it would indicate something in the house wiring isn't tight. In a system with no neutral (in the US these are typically referred to as Delta systems) the ground is handling the return path to the power plant...before neutrals were installed people would often get shocked if the soil around their home ground rod(s) dried out. You could try running a hose on the dirt near your homes ground rod if it has been dry there lately.

Last edited:
Look around outside and find where the power wires come into the house. There should be a ground rod driven into the ground somewhere nearby but your houde may not have one. I'm not familiar with the Philippines.

If you do have one you need to find a place where there is a ground wire inside the house and use it.

If you don't have one you should drive an eight or nine foot ground rod into the ground and attach a wire to it to use.

If your house is up on blocks and you can access the area under the floor you might crawl under there and look for a ground wire and use that.

Otherwise you will need to hire an electrician to examine your house and devise a plan to update the wiring.

Aug 19, 2020
I'll explain clearly so the psu is plugged in to the non-grounded outlet and the switch is off and when i touch the screws on the psu it gave me a weak shock,if the psu is on, the shock on the screw disappears also if im wearing sandals the screw also did not gave me a shock while it is plug in and turned off

If you don't have one you should drive an eight or nine foot ground rod into the ground and attach a wire to it to use.

This is a very unsafe suggestion...it is not safe at all to go out and drive a ground rod without a proper markout. The ground rod could be driven into a gas line or power line in the ground resulting in death.

Always hire a professional for this type of work...if you can't afford to hire someone the least dangerous way to accomplish placing a ground rod is to hand dig a trench and lay the ground rod in horizontally.

I'll explain clearly so the psu is plugged in to the non-grounded outlet and the switch is off and when i touch the screws on the psu it gave me a weak shock if the psu is on the shock on the screw disappears also if im not on foot wearing sandals the screw also did not gave me a shock while it is plug in and turned off

I understand...like I said above it's unsafe to attach a static wrist strap without a proper ground to bond it to.

You shouldn't be getting zapped from anything plugged in...it indicates either a loose wire in the circuit to the outlet or a ground fault at the power entrance.

One solution for discharging static would be to buy a ground mat to stand on when working on your PC...make sure to unplug the PC though before using the mat. There's a company called Bertech that sells a lot of them in the US.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020
I understand...like I said above it's unsafe to attach a static wrist strap without a proper ground to bond it to.

You shouldn't be getting zapped from anything plugged in...it indicates either a loose wire in the circuit to the outlet or a ground fault at the power entrance.
Then how do i prevent static without a ground source do i build the pc naked

Do not work on your pc while the psu is plugged in.
Do not shuffle your feet on a carpet or do anything like that to build up static.
touching the heavy metal case will discharge some static if there is any to let you work on the case.

Eventually, you will need to plug the psu into the wall socket.
Hire a qualified electrician to install a grounded socket for you to use.
Any other solution is not going to work well.

If your water pipes are buried into moist earth might provide enough of an earth ground. If the humidity is up a bit don't worry about static.
When you get a shock after walking across the room and touching the door nob - dont touch any electroinc components.

Aug 19, 2020
If your water pipes are buried into moist earth might provide enough of an earth ground. If the humidity is up a bit don't worry about static.
When you get a shock after walking across the room and touching the door nob - dont touch any electroinc components.
Well i never experienced being shocked before by doorknobs from static in my whole entire life yet