[SOLVED] How do I hide an optional update in W10 Updates?

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Windows Update continues to offer me an optional driver update that I don't need: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display
I accidentally installed it last time, and it deleted my latest Radeon driver (RX-570) and left me with nothing. Just the generic driver. I need to have it gone from Update so I don't forget again and let it get installed. Can I hide the darn thing somehow?

I used to know how to do this, but the usual links I used are not there anymore in these later versions of W10. Surfing the web for answers seems to only show those obsolete methods.

Solution
I can't find that path in CP. That's why I think they moved the option to do that.
Type....device installation......in the search box.

Click on the change option.
Put a tick in the NO box.

Yes msft keeps moving stuff around.
They do that just to mess with your head.
Windows Update continues to offer me an optional driver update that I don't need: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display
I accidentally installed it last time, and it deleted my latest Radeon driver (RX-570) and left me with nothing. Just the generic driver. I need to have it gone from Update so I don't forget again and let it get installed. Can I hide the darn thing somehow?

I used to know how to do this, but the usual links I used are not there anymore in these later versions of W10. Surfing the web for answers seems to only show those obsolete methods.
Maybe.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows

I think that will stop all driver updates so your on the hook to install drivers.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Do you not have the little arrow ^ that you can use to show or not show the optional updates like a drop down menu thing?

It shouldn't auto update it unless you check or select it, so far as I am aware.
Yes, that is there. But I want the driver update choice removed from being there altogether. I went and installed it last time because I thought it was some needed update for my RX-570. It wasn't. And it left me with no driver except Windows generic driver.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I can't recall when the "hide update" went away. Back on W7 there was a super common pirated software going around. MS designed an update that would just auto install if you had such enabled which would kill the boot loader. The folks that knew would just hide that and subsequent updates that would do so. I am semi certain that the ability to do so was removed to keep people from being able to use such programs, at least as readily as was able then.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I can't recall when the "hide update" went away. Back on W7 there was a super common pirated software going around. MS designed an update that would just auto install if you had such enabled which would kill the boot loader. The folks that knew would just hide that and subsequent updates that would do so. I am semi certain that the ability to do so was removed to keep people from being able to use such programs, at least as readily as was able then.
Thanks. I guess I can quit searching for a way to do it then, huh?