How do I hook a 4 pin psu into a 8 pin atx

Nov 15, 2018
I have a evga 850 GQ psu, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H110-D3A I'm trying to find out if I am able to use the extra 8 pin chord labeled cpu that came with the psu to power the motherboard atx.

Solution
A strong psu like the evga 850w will have two such cpu cables to handle some very strong motherboards that need two aux 8 pin connections.
In your case, you need to use only one of them.

Put the other aside along with the other unused cables in case you need them for a future upgrade.
Nov 15, 2018

My power supply only has a 24pin and a 4 pin.

Nov 15, 2018

I have a 4+4 with a 24 pin that can plug into the psu separate but the chords that are pre attached to the psu are only 24 pin and 4 pin.

Nov 15, 2018

Yes that's my question the separate wires that come with it labeled cpu and plug in separately.. I can use those to plug into the cpu? And sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject this is my first build.

A strong psu like the evga 850w will have two such cpu cables to handle some very strong motherboards that need two aux 8 pin connections.
In your case, you need to use only one of them.

Put the other aside along with the other unused cables in case you need them for a future upgrade.

Solution
Nov 15, 2018

Okay and where do I plug it into the psu? There is different labels such as cpu 1 cpu 2 period 1 etc etc..

TRENDING THREADS