How do I identify a ethernet port in my wall?

SweggyJesus

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015
In my room there's a wire in the wall (no socket on it yet, only just moved in) which I am sure is for an ethernet connection. Actually theres are 2 wires, but I think one of them is exclusively for a phone. Being a noob at this stuff I have 2 questions:

-How would I identify if there's an ethernet port there?

-Is a phone line different to a line that provides internet?

Solution
Ethernet cables have 8 wires.
Phone lines depend on the phone. VOIP phones will use the same 8 wire ethernet cable and there is no way to tell the difference by looking at them. Typical phone lines though use a smaller connector on the end and have either 2 or 4 wires.

Also, the suggestion to just plug one in and see what happens is not a bad idea. If it's the wrong type, you won't cause any issues.

zachattack748

Reputable
May 12, 2015

Yes, phone lines are different than the internet one. Without being able to see the cables themselves its hard to say. Ive always seen yellow cables as ethernet and blue as phone, but that probably doesnt help. your best bet would be to just plug in one and see if it works.

Ethernet cables have 8 wires.
Phone lines depend on the phone. VOIP phones will use the same 8 wire ethernet cable and there is no way to tell the difference by looking at them. Typical phone lines though use a smaller connector on the end and have either 2 or 4 wires.

Also, the suggestion to just plug one in and see what happens is not a bad idea. If it's the wrong type, you won't cause any issues.

Solution
In newer houses they use the same wire for phone and ethernet. The main difference is how and what it is connected to. Your largest problem is figuring out where the wires go to. Pretty much if all the wires do not separately run back to a central location you likely will not be able to accomplish much. There is really no magic way to find where the wires run you just have to search around the house looking for a area the wires could go to. Once you find it there are devices to test wires so you can tell which wire is which.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
First off, if it's an older phone jack, then your Ethernet cable won't even fit in (RJ12 <> RJ45), so if your Ethernet cable wont' fit that will be a dead giveaway.

Secondly, unless your router is currently hooked into a central location that allows you to use Ethernet wall jacks, connecting to a wall jack for Ethernet won't do anything. That being said, some fairly newer homes are wired up so that the ISP can put their modem/router into a central location & allow you to hardwire into it by using those wall jacks (because generally hardwired connections are faster than wireless). Definitely look for something near where the utilities enter the house, as that's where it's usually located.

If you're lucky, you've got Verizon FiOS or something similar, as the FiOS box is usually installed in these central locations so that everything can be hooked up...provided the install tech wasn't feeling lazy that day...