Question How do I identify USB-C Power Only vs USB-C Data + Power Cables ?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can tell me how I can identify USB-C Power Only vs USB-C Data + Power Cables ?

I have tried to look into this online but haven't found much info.
Saw some diagrams - but they don't match reality.

In case it matters - I'm trying to connect my Dad's USB-C Android phone to his Windows computer; but he doesn't have USB-C on the PC.

So we tried using a short USB-C to USB cable (some traditional USB 1/2 I think - which came with some new Wireless Earbuds) but it didn't show up in Windows File Explorer - as it does with my PC (using a USB-C to USB-C cable on my PC with USB-C).

I think it's because the USB-C cable is Power Only ?

I'm assuming the short cable is Power only because they always try to save money and give you the cheapest option when things are included with Headphones etc.

How do you identify which ones do Data too - because that is what I want ?

I ask because I want to buy some cheap from the second hand store - but I don't want to get the wrong ones.
Also - if you buy them new - do they usually state if they are Power Only or Data ?

Also, are there any extra complications in identifying which does Data when buying/using a USB-C to USB cable (some traditional USB 1/2) as opposed to a USB-C to USB-C? Cause that I might need to buy both for different PC's ?

Hope someone might have some idea?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can tell me how I can identify USB-C Power Only vs USB-C Data + Power Cables ?

I have tried to look into this online but haven't found much info.
Saw some diagrams - but they don't match reality.

In case it matters - I'm trying to connect my Dad's USB-C Android phone to his Windows computer; but he doesn't have USB-C on the PC.

So we tried using a short USB-C to USB cable (some traditional USB 1/2 I think - which came with some new Wireless Earbuds) but it didn't show up in Windows File Explorer - as it does with my PC (using a USB-C to USB-C cable on my PC with USB-C).

I think it's because the USB-C cable is Power Only ?

How do you identify which ones do Data too - because that is what I want ?

I ask because I want to buy some cheap from the second hand store - but I don't want to get the wrong ones.
Also - if you buy them new - do they usually state if they are Power Only or Data ?

Also, are there any extra complications in identifying which does Data when buying/using a USB-C to USB cable (some traditional USB 1/2) as opposed to a USB-C to USB-C? Cause that I might need to buy both for different PC's ?

Hope someone might have some idea?

Thank you for your help
Only real way is to count the amount of pins it has on the inside however this isn't always reliable because some have a full pin out for now reason

If there's no connection from the phone to the PC, check the phone's permissions and/or USB mode. Typically by default the phone will ask if you want to share its data to the computer.

In any case, there's no simple way to identify a power only or data only cable unless the person selling it explicitly states such. Most people sell cables that handle both, because that's the rule and power or data only is the exception. And for USB-C, I don't think there's any power-only cables for USB-PD capable devices, because USB-PD requires communication between the phone and charger to negotiate higher power profiles.

Reactions: white.a.drew