Question How do I increase C drive using D drive?

Mar 16, 2019
I need help. This laptop is running a little slow. Lags a little at times when playing Heroes of the Storm. I would like your help on what to do. I've already completed a Disk Cleanup and lowered the Recycle Bin allocation. Any way to extend C to D? Appears their separate and I've not done this before. I have not compressed the C drive as I'm not sure that's the right thing to do.

Asus ROG G752VT
Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU 2.60GHz
16GB RAM
64-Bit
Windows 10 Home

53839943_10218454175929372_3160866282249650176_o.jpg

54462376_10218454176169378_1090668298703470592_o.jpg

Mar 16, 2019
I have 3 Blizzard Games installed. Just realized HOTS, WOW, and HS are already on the D Drive. Not sure how to see what is taking up so much space on the C drive. Does Windows 10 OS files take up a ton?

Mar 16, 2019
Update: C Drive (SSD) is now 12.6 GB FREE, 106 GB USED, so much better.

Storage Usage (in order of usage)
  1. System & reserved: 48.3 GB (can't do much here)
  2. Apps & Games: 41.1 GB (seems like a lot of basic system programs, highest is Avid Pro Tools 1.51 GB, so I have moved large programs like games to D)
  3. Other: 8.46 GB (manuals and support stuff, I removed some junk)
  4. Mail: 6.80 GB (I use gmail online, not sure why this is taking up so much space, when I click on manage mail it wants me to Add Account, No Thanks! Can I have my ~ 7 GB back?)
  5. Documents: < 1 GB (from here on, I've moved mostly everything to D)
I'd like to get that storage from some dumb mail program back.

BIG QUESTION - Should I "Compress this drive to save disk space"? Pros/Cons???

USAFRet

Titan
No, do NOT "Compress". You'll be giving up some of the performance of the SSD.

This is why a 120/128GB SSD isn't really recommended anymore. It simply runs out of space.
Sure, you can install everything else on the HDD, but if you're not going to have applications and maybe your working files on the SSD, why have it?

Maybe there are some other space suckers that you've not noticed yet. The "Storage" report in Windows Settings is woefully inadequate.

Install either WinDirStat or WizTree
Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Reactions: swainstyle
Mar 16, 2019
No, do NOT "Compress". You'll be giving up some of the performance of the SSD.

This is why a 120/128GB SSD isn't really recommended anymore. It simply runs out of space.
Sure, you can install everything else on the HDD, but if you're not going to have applications and maybe your working files on the SSD, why have it?

Maybe there are some other space suckers that you've not noticed yet. The "Storage" report in Windows Settings is woefully inadequate.

Install either WinDirStat or WizTree
Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.
Thank you for the information.

I'm now up to 13.7 GB storage free on C drive. I won't be compressing the drive. Yeah, I think when I got this computer it was newer to have a SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
So that 6.8 GB of "Mail" was Outlook. I get a warning before deleting. Think it'll mess up anything removing the Outlook files/folders?
Do you use Outlook?

Also, 10.0GB of pagefile and hibernation. Big green things at bottom left.
If you don't use hibernation, you can turn that function OFF, and reclaim a few more GB.

Using the commandline:

Mar 16, 2019
Do you use Outlook?

Also, 10.0GB of pagefile and hibernation. Big green things at bottom left.
If you don't use hibernation, you can turn that function OFF, and reclaim a few more GB.

Using the commandline:

1. Deleted Outlook
  2. Turned Off hibernation

Now at 26.9 GB free! Started the day with 2.1 GB. Thank you for your help!!!

Reactions: USAFRet
Decrease size of C Drive recycle bin (via properties ) to only 1 GB, that might regain a tiny bit of breathing room...

120 GB SSDs are impossibly small these days....with only 2 GB of space left, you are in dire straights!

Install WIndows and about any new game, and you are already running out of space!

It's time to price out a 500 GB Corsair MX500 or Samsung 860 EVO, and pretty darn quickly.