How do i increase fan speed?!

ptwick

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I recently updated my bios and had a few problem but mostly it let me fix a bunch of others. I was finally able to connect my 120mm fan to my motherbaord without getting the error but now its going much slower that it was before, i am actually looking at two of the same fans and you can see the spped difference. Sppedfan is telling me that the 120 mm fan is going at about 390rpm. (im talking about the fan that comes stalk at the rear of the half 912 case if any1 has it.) Another thing my cpu fan i think its 60mm and its spinning very slow and my cpu is pretty hot core 0 is always over 50c(even when at idle) speedfan says its spinning at 1500 rpm, I have a 2 year old hp computer so i am not sure if i can do anything in the bios. Is there a way i can speed up the fans. OH and the cpu fan's rpm never changes..., its always between 1500-1600 rpm. All help is appriciated thanks!

One thing that caught my eye is the CPU fan - 60mm?

When was the last time you cleaned the inside of the computer case? Take the computer outside the house, open the side panel, and use a can or two of compressed air to clean the inside. Do this carefully.

After this, let's take a look at temps. and go from there.

ptwick

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

Yea if i put it directly to the psu it goes much faster like the other ones, but i want to increase the speed of the 2 other fans, i have a hp computer so i cant do much in the bios, i want to increase the rpm of my cpu fan cuz it never increases by itself..

ptwick

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
can i have a fan connecteed to the fan controller and mobo, cuz if i disconnect those who fans i will get an error 9system fan or cpu fan error) and i have to have them two fans installed too, if i swich them out i still get the error.

Then connect it directly to the PSU. I like to see my computer rear fan run at the max speed for maximum exhaust of hot air. Don't throttle it down.

ptwick

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
i got one fan in the rear going at full speed, i got the small one that conected to the motheber board on top cuz i cant take it out.. my problem is that whenever i change or take out my fan it will either say system fan error or cpu fan error every time i boot.. do know how i could get my cpu fan working at higher rpms?

ptwick

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
i recently hanged to the half 912 case but i always had the problem, i also dont think i can do anything in my bios :( there is literally nothing i can do in my bios. im thinking im getting
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_129&item_id=027200
attaching my old fan to the other side so i dont get the error, and ill attach the other fan to the powersuply.
What do you think?
but im not sure yet.

A good way to achieve this is by polishing the base of the heatsink. Polishing (erroneously referred to as lapping) will make the surface flatter and promote better heat transfer. Re-seat the heatsink using a good thermal compound such as AS5 and follow recommended procedures posted elsewhere at this site.

ptwick

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
i use rubbing alchol to polish it right? should i also polish the heatsink if it is new? im on a tight budget so do you think using the thermal paste tha comes with the hearsink is going to be a bad idea, im going to be running this pc at stock speeds. i seen that some coolermaster thermal grease is pretty good.

Yes you may use the thermal paste that came with the heatsink. And no, don't use rubbing alcohol to polish. Polishing is a metal removal process that improves flatness and micro-finish. Here is a guide that I wrote:

Guide to Polishing Heatsink bases. By Ubrales (Uber Alles)

Polishing Heatsink bases is usually done by enthusiasts in order to improve heat transfer between the CPU and the heatsink. This, when done correctly results in lower CPU temps, thereby prolonging CPU life and also improving Overclocking capabilities.

Polishing is loosely referred to as "Lapping", but let it be known that whereas polishing can be done at home on a flat work surface, lapping can only be done utilizing highly accurate, expensive, and precise Lapping Machines costing tens of thousands of dollars.

Flatness and an improvement in micro finish is the objective, not necessarily a mirror finish. Frequently, after polishing, the improved flatness and the fine micro finish will make the surface look more or less like a mirror finish.

Tools requited are 1200 grit Silicon Carbide (wet or dry) paper, 2000 grit Silicon Carbide (wet or dry) paper (optional), elbow grease, and a few drops of water.

Here are the series of steps for polishing the base of a heatsink:

1. Find a flat surface to use as a base. A piece of 12" x 12" x 1/4" glass will work (glass top cocktail table, end table, breakfast table).

2. Lay a full sheet of 1200 grit Silicon Carbide paper flat on the glass surface and ensure that this sheet does not slip or slide during the polishing process. Put about 4 drops of water in the center of this sheet.

3. Place the heatsink base squarely over the center of the Silicon Carbide paper and gently start moving the heatsink base back and forth in about 2" strokes. The direction of the stroking must be towards you and away from you. Care must be taken not to tip the heatsink while you are doing this. Use a light downward force. Light force. Light force. Holding the heatsink closer to the base will help. Again, light downward force. (Practice doing this on a sheet of plain paper first if necessary - this will give you confidence).

4. Continue the stroking towards you and away from you, staying on the same central area of the Silicon Carbide sheet. Move your body (not the work piece) about 30 degrees and continue the stroking. Like dancing around a May pole. This will change the polishing direction on the heatsink base. Repeat for about 10 minutes.

5. By now, you will notice that the polishing residue on the Silicon Carbide paper is reddish - this is the color of the copper base under the Nickel plating film that is now polished away. Using the edge of a razor blade is an approximation of a straight edge. It is not a straight edge, but will give you ball park information that is close enough.

6. Continue for 10 more minutes on the same sheet of Silicon Carbide paper, and you are done. VIOLA!

7. Continuing Polishing with the 2000 grit paper is purely optional. Like icing (frosting) on the cake.

A note about the CPU: Leave the CPU alone. The heat spreader of the CPU is a sheet metal component made by the draw (see "deep drawing”) process. The thermal expansion characteristics of thin sheet metal drawn parts are hard to determine. I am reasonably sure (oxymoron?) that there will be some improvement in heat transfer if the high spots at the corners of the CPU are polished away, but the marginal gains may not be worth the efforts. Therefore, I am not recommending any polishing of the CPU. Another point to note would be that any alteration will void the warranty.

ptwick

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
should iclean the old thermal compund (if there is any.. lol) off the cpu with alchol? and what is Silicon Carbide and where can i get it? is it like sand paper? can i use sans paper?

Hold the part (CPU, Heatsink) upside down and use an alcohol pad to wipe off and clean the old thermal compound. Upside down will prevent the alcohol from getting into the CPU.

Silicon carbide paper is a coated abrasive paper (aka wet or dry paper) and is available at most auto repair stores like AutoZone, Pepboys, Home Depot. It is much finer than sand paper. Do not use sand paper. Practice on a copper part before you start on the heatsink. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5gk6mZuso&feature=related

Polish the heatsink base. Do not polish the CPU!