How do i increase fan speed?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ptwick

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I recently updated my bios and had a few problem but mostly it let me fix a bunch of others. I was finally able to connect my 120mm fan to my motherbaord without getting the error but now its going much slower that it was before, i am actually looking at two of the same fans and you can see the spped difference. Sppedfan is telling me that the 120 mm fan is going at about 390rpm. (im talking about the fan that comes stalk at the rear of the half 912 case if any1 has it.) Another thing my cpu fan i think its 60mm and its spinning very slow and my cpu is pretty hot core 0 is always over 50c(even when at idle) speedfan says its spinning at 1500 rpm, I have a 2 year old hp computer so i am not sure if i can do anything in the bios. Is there a way i can speed up the fans. OH and the cpu fan's rpm never changes..., its always between 1500-1600 rpm. All help is appriciated thanks!

I got a 5 to 8 degrees drop in temps by polishing (NOT lapping) the heatsink base. Leave the CPU alone. The guys who make the videos do not know the difference between Polishing and Lapping. They assume that when a mirror finish is obtained, it must be lapping. Wrong! Lapping involves microfinish as well as flatness - impossible to achieve manually.

POLISHING heatsinks is erroneously referred to as 'Lapping'! Please read the guide that I posted above.

An area the size of the heatsink base cannot be lapped manually. Lapping is a precision process that requires expensive machine tools. Polishing, on the other hand, can be done by hand (manually).

ptwick

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
what difference is ther between Silicon carbide abrasive paper and sand paper, im still looking for the Silicon carbide abrasive paper i checked a home depo and it wasnt there :( is it sold at hardware stores, if yea il try another one.

Silicon carbide abrasive paper aka 'wet or dry' paper is sold in most automotive parts stores. And hardware stores.

The difference between silicon carbide paper and sand paper, is like comparing fine single malt scotch to moonshine! LOL!