[SOLVED] How do I increase the speed at which Windows 10 switches windows using Alt+Escape?

Jan 26, 2021
I am using the mouse wheel with an Alt+Escape bind to rapidly switch through a large number of windows.

Is it possible to increase the speed at which Alt+Escape switches windows?

I know it is already fast, but I need it faster. I tried increasing the number of lines my mouse wheel scrolls, but this does not seem to have an effect.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

Solution
Yeah, its likely max speed. Windows isn't really designed with this in mind. you need a script or automation, I don't know really.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it might be tied to speed of your actual PC.
How much ram, How fast is storage? how fast is CPU?
Maybe updating GPU drivers might help but i don't think so.

Win 10 generally runs as fast as it can, I don't think you can speed it up, its likely going as fast as it can with what it has.

Jan 26, 2021
Hi Colif,

Thank you for you reply.
I am using a Threadripper 3970x and a 970 EVO Plus. So I don't think that it i s that.
I thought that there might be an option for it somewhere, but if there is not, fair enough.

//Mikk

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, maybe you at max speed now. I mean, lets see, it would be in virtual memory which is imaginary space that windows convinces every process they have almost endless resources. So only slowing factors might be How much of the info needed isn't on the cache of CPU already, ram speed, the speed your gpu can render the changes of programs on screen and any timers the function has.

Your CPU seems to have plenty of onboard cache so might not need to access the ram as much to find a page it doesn't have.

I assume you have enough ram, as I wouldn't assume its only 8gb with that CPU. I assume about 32gb or more? So it won't even touch the NVME as If the programs are open, windows 10 will only send the info from them to NVME if another process needs the ram they are in. And it will compress the data in ram before it contemplates moving it to page file. NVME is last spot it looks,

CPU - Cache super fast
Ram still fast
NVME slow compared to above 2.

if data onboard cpu, only factors are CPU & GPU output
if on ram, speed not that much slower than above, you can't tell difference since its so fast.
Only if the data is for some reason on NVME would it likely be slow. (and it feels wrong calling something that can run at 3500 mb/s slow, but its all relative)

I didn't even know what Alt Escape did before you asked.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
It might depend on number of active programs, I suspect his amount isn't small. Hence reason to want to increase it.
Right. But without a definition of "faster", we're just guessing.

If it takes 1 sec between active windows, that is probably too slow and could be altered.
If it currently takes 0.1 sec....then I'm not sure there is any "faster".

Jan 26, 2021
Hi again,
I have 128gb of this ram: G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 4000Mhz 2x32GB (F4-4000C18D-64GTZR).

Even though I am not an expert, I don't think that I am limited by hardware. I am cycling through 32 windows within 2-3 seconds.
You might wonder what I am doing? I am multiboxing video games and then I cycle through the windows to cast spells fast on 32 characters. So if I want to add more characters I have to be able to switch through the windows faster, else the characters are just idle for too long and there is no point in adding more characters. Ideally I want every character to cast every second.

Jan 26, 2021
OK script or automation would get me banned from the game. But yeah, it seems to be max. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Have a great rest of your week. :)