How do i install my system on a SSD?

Jan 31, 2019
I want to buy a ssd but i dont know how to install my systeam on it so it boots from there i will be buying a kingston A400 240GB. Thank You! :love:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You have options.
1. Clone your boot drive to the SSD - this takes the good, the bad and the ugly though (registry errors, old driver conflicts etc), and requires your "used" space on the old drive to be less than the capacity of the new SSD.

2. Clean install your OS onto the SSD. You can create bootable installation media direct from Microsoft (if W10)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Create media to a USB, disconnect the old drive, install the SSD.
Boot from the USB, follow the prompts. Skip when asked for an activation key, as you'll reactivate when back online provided you install the same version of Windows 10 (Home, Pro etc) and your OS was already activated.

Jan 31, 2019

Thank you for taking your time to answer me but can i just copy my C: Drive onto the SSD? Thank you.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, you cannot "copy", it doesn't work like that.

You'll need to use dedicated cloning software (some SSDs come with software, but there's plenty of free options out there), but again, your existing drive must be <200GB or so in this case.

A clean install would be highly recommended.

Jan 31, 2019

English isnt my first language and this question wouldnt make a lot of sense.When doing a clean install Do i get to keep the things from the hdd? if so how can i remove the windows from the hdd?

USAFRet

Titan

Depends on what you mean by "the things".
All the applications on your current drive would not be usable with a new OS on the new SSD.
Any data like music and video files are usable, but its convoluted due to where they currently exist and the WIndows permission model.

How much space is actually consumed on your current drive?
What OS is this?
Laptop or desktop?

Jan 31, 2019

So i use over 300GB, WIN 10, Desktop.

USAFRet

Titan

So, you're somewhat close.
To clone to this new drive, you must get the actual used space to below 200GB.

Delete some old gunk out of your downloads folder.
Delete some of those old videos you no longer watch.
Uninstall some old games.

200GB is your magic number.
Once you get there, we can discuss actual cloning steps if you want to go that way.

Jan 31, 2019

I deleted some games and photos but i cant get under 200 i am currently at 260GB

Jan 31, 2019

Or should i get 240GB Crucial? and clean 20gigs

USAFRet

Titan

Your actual consumed space needs to be below 200GB
The Kingston or Crucial...makes no difference.
And a current Crucial MX500 is "250GB", not 240.

Jan 31, 2019

I am talking about the BX500