How do I install the Hitachi 5K750 notebook drive on desktop?

likeuknowwhatever

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I have a 750GB Hitachi 5K750 2.5 notebook drive, which I took off a ASUS Transformer Pad.
It worked fine on it, but I wanted it on my desktop.

I have no issues connecting the SATA signal cable to it, but the SATA power cable doesn't fit.

It's called a notebook drive, so I guess it's meant for notebooks and not desktop, but surely there's a way to connect it to a desktop? And why would they make one that doesn't work on desktops?

Solution
Could be the problem. 3.5 and 2.5 inch have the same connectors. You could try unplugging another drive to see if it plugs into your notebook drive.
Some older hard drives also come with a 4 pin connector for power giving you another option.

RichardWood1

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
It plugs in and works the same way, but.... The housing to hold your drive in a PC is meant for a larger device. You will find that your notebook drive is 2.5inch (compared to a PC 3.5 inch) and it will be loose inside the casing. If you never move the PC it should be fine, but if you pull it out often (for cleaning behind or upgrades etc) it may work loose, or worse, drop down inside the case and damage other components.

likeuknowwhatever

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014

My case has 2.5inch drive bays, and I already have a SSD installed. That's not the problem.
The problem is that I can't connect it to the SATA power cable. The SATA signal cable, the smaller one, however fits right in there perfectly.

I suspected that something had fallen off from the connector, but I look up pictures of it on Google and it looks the same. And I see it's called notebook drive.

The 2.5 hdd worked just fine on the ASUS Transformer Pad, which is pretty much a laptop.

likeuknowwhatever

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014

Oh it definitely has. I have a SSD and three 3.5inch HDDs connected to it already.

I have room for two more available SATA ports, but I can't connect this one to it.

I decided to take out the HDD out of my Seagate Expansion Portable and use it's case and SATA-USB converter for my Hitachi. I now use the Seagate 2.5inch HDD as an internal drive. I had no problems connecting it to the SATA cables.

I think there's a minor damage to the SATA power connector on the Hitachi, which prevents it from sticking to the cable.

RichardWood1

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Could be the problem. 3.5 and 2.5 inch have the same connectors. You could try unplugging another drive to see if it plugs into your notebook drive.
Some older hard drives also come with a 4 pin connector for power giving you another option.

Solution