Al-Ameen Adewunmi

Commendable
Nov 7, 2020
I've been trying to install these HDDs for hours now, but even after watching several tutorials, I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I've tried connecting them, but the cables either struggle to connect or just pop off because the wires aren't long enough. All I really know about my PC is that's it's an Antec PC. I'm not even sure if I have enough cables to connect both of them. To see for yourself, check this:
View: https://imgur.com/a/IJmSqkz

Some help on this would be greatly appreciated, because I really want more storage on my PC.

popatim

Titan
Show us the connection end of the HDD's or tell us the model#'s

If they are sata drives then it sounds like you just need longer sata cables and maybe power extension cables.
If they are ATA drives (take the molex power connector) then you will need to purchase an ATA controller card or two "ata to sata" adapters.

Al-Ameen Adewunmi

Commendable
Nov 7, 2020

popatim

Titan
Its Time to replace the Sata connector on those drives. Both are damaged.
If you don't have a capable shop or friend up to the task then buying new ones will be cheaper then sending them out.

If you still insist on using them, get longer cables and then immediately backup them up or at least the important data.

The drive on the left is usable, it appears one of the 12v lines is shorted to another 12v line. This means that line is loose and could short out against something else if pushed.

The drive on the right? That's too damaged and I can't see it clearly but it looks like a 5v line is shorted to ground and a 3v line is lifted up (& probably pushing the connector off) , as well as several other 'loose' lines.
NO WAY would I connect it to my system like that!

Al-Ameen Adewunmi

Commendable
Nov 7, 2020
Its Time to replace the Sata connector on those drives. Both are damaged.
If you don't have a capable shop or friend up to the task then buying new ones will be cheaper then sending them out.

If you still insist on using them, get longer cables and then immediately backup them up or at least the important data.

The drive on the left is usable, it appears one of the 12v lines is shorted to another 12v line. This means that line is loose and could short out against something else if pushed.

The drive on the right? That's too damaged and I can't see it clearly but it looks like a 5v line is shorted to ground and a 3v line is lifted up (& probably pushing the connector off) , as well as several other 'loose' lines.
NO WAY would I connect it to my system like that!
The HDDs were supposed to be preinstalled in my PC, but my seller forgot to make sure of that and told me that I could just look up a tutorial. And I'm long past the point of returning it, so this is what I'll have to do. And I'm not exactly the most capable person.

Also, what would you suggest I should get, because I don't want to make the mistake of getting incompatible cables.

The HDDs were supposed to be preinstalled in my PC, but my seller forgot to make sure of that and told me that I could just look up a tutorial. And I'm long past the point of returning it, so this is what I'll have to do. And I'm not exactly the most capable person.

Also, what would you suggest I should get, because I don't want to make the mistake of getting incompatible cables.
All SATA cables are same except for length.
Standard SATA disks need 2 cables, data cable (narrower, less pins) and power cable (wider, more pins) mostly coming from PSU.
Now for some questions, were disks brand new ? Were they installed in the case but just not connected ?
If so it looks like you tried wrong cables in wrong place on disks and that probably burned crap out of them and according to pictures are practically not salvageable.

I reckon the seller did not "forget" to install them...... why would he when he knew they were broken. You try to install it and then hey presto... your fault. E-Waste them and start with a new SSD, there are plenty of good deals on SSD's at the moment. One of the few PC parts that can still readily be bought at a decent price.

Al-Ameen Adewunmi

Commendable
Nov 7, 2020
All SATA cables are same except for length.
Standard SATA disks need 2 cables, data cable (narrower, less pins) and power cable (wider, more pins) mostly coming from PSU.
Now for some questions, were disks brand new ? Were they installed in the case but just not connected ?
If so it looks like you tried wrong cables in wrong place on disks and that probably burned crap out of them and according to pictures are practically not salvageable.
One of them was in the PC, the other came in a separate package. None of them were connected, though.