[SOLVED] How do I install W10 over a corrupt version?

Sep 12, 2019
So I believe my W10 installation is completely corrupted, I've tried everything to fix it but I still can't get past the login screen. At this point I want to start fresh, even if I can fix it I would want to get a fresh installation just to be sure. How would I go about doing this if my drive still has the corrupt version on it? (I would prefer to keep my personal files if possible)

Solution
If you want to start completely fresh the only way you can preserve your user data files is to back them up to external storage and then recover them after the new installation is complete.

I would suggest Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file first, and you can keep your files and apps using this method, to see if that fixes your issues.

If not, you'll be doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If you want to start completely fresh the only way you can preserve your user data files is to back them up to external storage and then recover them after the new installation is complete.

I would suggest Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file first, and you can keep your files and apps using this method, to see if that fixes your issues.

If not, you'll be doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

And remember to back up your user data and get an inventory of the programs you'll need to reinstall and have their installers handy before doing a completely clean Windows 10 reinstall.

Solution