Question How do I install Windows 10 onto my laptop correctly?

cameron121901

Commendable
Feb 25, 2017
Currently I am using Linux Mint. I switched from Windows 10 awhile ago. I now want to switch back to Windows 10 permanently. I have a few problems though.
-I don't know how to configure the system and/or bios to allow the use of Intel Optane Memory
-All of my previous partitions are deleted
-I don't know how to correctly partition my drive according to the model of my computer, and the Intel Optane Memory

I currently have a Lenovo Legion Y530.
My main questions are: How do I install windows onto my laptop correctly? How do I configure my bios for the installation correctly? How do I partition my drive? How do I make good use of the Intel Optane Memory on my laptop?
All-in-all, I just want my laptop to be configured the way it was when I bought it.

Thank you so much in advance!

P.S. - My Laptop

You're overthinking the process.
  • Make a backup of your files somewhere outside of your laptop
  • Go to Microsoft site, and download Windows 10. If your laptop was delivered with Windows, it already has a license;
  • Configure BIOS to boot off USB. You've probably did that already when you've installed Mint. Enable or disable Secure Boot, to your liking;
  • Boot off that USB, and install Windows. Once you have it, install drivers for Optane. Don't forget to go to Lenovo website, and install latest drivers from there.

cameron121901

Commendable
Feb 25, 2017
You're overthinking the process.
  • Make a backup of your files somewhere outside of your laptop
  • Go to Microsoft site, and download Windows 10. If your laptop was delivered with Windows, it already has a license;
  • Configure BIOS to boot off USB. You've probably did that already when you've installed Mint. Enable or disable Secure Boot, to your liking;
  • Boot off that USB, and install Windows. Once you have it, install drivers for Optane. Don't forget to go to Lenovo website, and install latest drivers from there.
After downloading Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) user interface and driver, it said that it requires a restart. After restarting, I reopened the "app", and clicked the continue button. It then said: "Error Enabling Intel Optane Memory." "Unsupported System BIOS or System BIOS is set in Legacy Mode. Contact your BIOS vendor for the latest version and support." "Error code: 0xA00800sD". This is the part that I was most afraid of. I remember there was something about RAID before I installed Linux Mint. I have no idea what RAID is or how it works though, or if it even has anything to do with this problem. Where do I go from here?