How do i install windows XP on a laptop set up for windows 7

scott t

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
have a toshiba u505 s2970 with installed version windows 7...got a windows XP set-up disk.. formatted the drive and installed xp on the laptop..now the laptop wont recognize drivers for the lan. wifi or sound...but runs other apps. how can i correct this.....i have no internet connection on this laptop at present. Need help

Hello Scott t,

Down to the short and curlys with this one.
The only thing you can do is use another computer connected to the internet to download all of your xp drivers for the laptop.
You need to know the brand of the laptop, and its model number.
Then have you or a friend burn all of the drivers to a CD or a Dvd.
Windows 7 has more support for drivers than xp ever did, sure you have a friend with a comp/ cd burner to sort you out.

scott t

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

thanks for your response ..
download what i thought was the right nic driver, copied it to cd, placed into the cd slot but the system still wont recognize the driver...could there be a chipset issue or bios issue....could yopu point me to where i could download drives?

scott t

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks for your response ..
download what i thought was the right nic driver, copied it to cd, placed into the cd slot but the system still wont recognize the driver...could there be a chipset issue or bios issue....could yopu point me to where i could download drives?

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
This is actually a very common problem and has been for years.
What you really need of course is LAN drivers.
Then chipset drivers - and also let the automatic windows update program do its thing, before you ever open a web browser.
I have a small external NIC connector (they're inexpensive) that connects by USB, and I keep its driver CD with it, so never have this problem again with any computer.