Question How do I keep this HD Audio Controller from enabling itself?

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
This is how it looks in device manager:
https://streamable.com/ah4bj

I tried disabling from device manager. I start a game, exit game check device manager this thing is enabled. Over and over again
Upon unintall and computer restart / recover from sleep this thing is back up in kicking

I don't need it, I have an external audio device and I want Windows to understand this thing should not be using any resources or better shouldnt even know it exist. How do I manage this?
I suppose its either the disabled audio from my mobo (from bios) or Amd audio (I never asked for this to be installed)

Any way to actually have a device remained disabled? This is so baffling, how can a disabled device end up working again without me enabling it?

This is how it looks in device manager:
https://streamable.com/ah4bj

I tried disabling from device manager. I start a game, exit game check device manager this thing is enabled. Over and over again
Upon unintall and computer restart / recover from sleep this thing is back up in kicking

I don't need it, I have an external audio device and I want Windows to understand this thing should not be using any resources or better shouldnt even know it exist. How do I manage this?
I suppose its either the disabled audio from my mobo (from bios) or Amd audio (I never asked for this to be installed)

Any way to actually have a device remained disabled? This is so baffling, how can a disabled device end up working again without me enabling it?
Uninstall it, power off and then disable it in the BIOS.

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
You should double check.
If the Audio Controller is disabled in the BIOS, then it should not even appear in the Device Manager.
Updating the BIOS could re-enable devices in the BIOS.
Which PC model or motherboard do you have?

Its 200 % disabled I did it last week

Z87-K is the mobo

I see this event from today
Event 1:
Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_AAF0&SUBSYS_AAF01DA2&REV_00\4&20a528bc&0&0108 was configured.

Driver Name: hdaudbus.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e97d-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Date: 03/18/2019
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: HDAudio_Device.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF2006
Matching Device Id: PCI\CC_0403
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0C01&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_06\3&11583659&2&08

Event 2:
Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_AAF0&SUBSYS_AAF01DA2&REV_00\4&20a528bc&0&0108 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: hdaudbus.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e97d-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: HDAudBus
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x20
Problem Status: 0x0

I guess the second event is because of a change i did in regedit after i found a way to suposedelly keep audio from actually staring and taking resources but I have my doubts is working

The fact that I start a game (Rocket League in this case) and this MOFO enables itself after i just disabled it with my own hand is maddening

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I had dealt with several Asus Z87 series motherboard and disabling the HD Audio Controller (or any hardware) in the Onboard Devices Configuration section of the BIOS prevent such hardware from working in Windows.

I see.
Then maybe it's the AMD HD Audio that comes with the gpu driver.
Fact is I don't understand why Windows can let a device i just disabled be re-enabled automatically. If I could find a way to remove this from the system for good it wold be nice but I am out of ideas

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Having two audio devices is just fine.
I have disabled my onboard audio device because I have a SB Audigy PCI-e card.
But I also have the audio device from the GPU.
Not on my system its not fine. Getting input lag and I see with an app that some issues are caused by sound so I need to eliminate additional sound devices. Thats why I bought an external usb audio card and now i have WIndows telling me Nope we're still using this don't care you are disabling it. This is simply ridiculous and I need to find a way to stop windows overriding my decisions regarding what devices are baing used

Anyone has any idea how you can disable that from device manager or some other way and keep it disabled or uninstalled? There is no way a device uninstalled can come back up after a restart, this is not acceptable

Not on my system its not fine. Getting input lag and I see with an app that some issues are caused by sound so I need to eliminate additional sound devices. Thats why I bought an external usb audio card and now i have WIndows telling me Nope we're still using this don't care you are disabling it. This is simply ridiculous and I need to find a way to stop windows overriding my decisions regarding what devices are baing used

Anyone has any idea how you can disable that from device manager or some other way and keep it disabled or uninstalled?
I have had 3 sound devices and two working simultaneously without any lags. You might have an issue or combinations of issues with hardware, drivers, corrupted OS, configuration, etc.
If your OS and hardware is working fine and you disable hardware in the BIOS or Device Manager it will remain disabled and Windows will not use such disabled hardware.
I would uninstall all sound drivers from Device Manager, power off, disconnect the USB audio device and reboot.
See if Windows find any other sound devices beside the GPU on re-start.
If it finds the onboard HD audio device, even though it has been disabled in the BIOS, you might have an issue with your motherboard and its BIOS.

There is no way a device uninstalled can come back up after a restart, this is not acceptable
If you uninstall a device, when Windows reboots it does scan for hardware changes and when its finds a device... it will install drivers for it.

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I have had 3 sound devices and two working simultaneously without any lags. You might have an issue or combinations of issues with hardware, drivers, corrupted OS, configuration, etc.
If your OS and hardware is working fine and you disable hardware in the BIOS or Device Manager it will remain disabled and Windows will not use such disabled hardware.
I would uninstall all sound drivers from Device Manager, power off, disconnect the USB audio device and reboot.
See if Windows find any other sound devices beside the GPU on re-start.
If it finds the onboard HD audio device, even though it has been disabled in the BIOS, you might have an issue with your motherboard and its BIOS.

If you uninstall a device, when Windows reboots it does scan for hardware changes and when its finds a device... it will install drivers for it.

I believe you have whatever audio controllers you say you do but mine is a system from 2013 and if you search you will see that audio issues on certain systems/ mobo can cause problems. There are apps that will signal when a device is taking too long too respond and guess what HD Audio Bus is one of them in my case. So you dont have a problem but I do. You have a system I have another, I have no idea why do you bring your system into discussion as if it's proof of anything.

I am not saying this is my only source for input lag, I want to eliminate it though. Also regardless, I am looking for a solution of KEEPING A DISABLED DEVICE that way. Or better unintstall it and keeping it that way.
I am not saying this is the mobo audio, it could the AMD Audio and it could still be a problem and so I want to find a way of preserving the action I took (disabling the device with my own hand)

As I said starting a game will enable this and it makes no sense from any perspective. Why do I have a option to disable something and it stays that way or 30 seconds?

Maybe someone knows a way to disable a device manager device for good, surely it must exist

I believe you have whatever audio controllers you say you do but mine is a system from 2013 and if you search you will see that audio issues on certain systems/ mobo can cause problems.
There are apps that will signal when a device is taking too long too respond and guess what HD Audio Bus is one of them in my case. So you dont have a problem but I do. You have a system I have another, I have no idea why do you bring your system into discussion as if it's proof of anything.
I am sorry if comparing other systems behavior was not of your liking. Usually that's how we know there is an issue when we look how hardware normally works on other systems.

I was not only bringing a specific system, since I have several dozens system with different hardware and settings. Some of them older than your 2013 system. (e.g. Biostar TH61 with i5-2500K).
I was trying to explain different factors that could cause the issue you were having, but it looks like you only read the mention of the comparison.

I have encountered that issue on the past with a Gigabyte motherboard that was failing and some settings in the BIOS were not saved...even though they appeared to be.

Hope someone here read this, and will provide answers you would like to hear.

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I am sorry if comparing other systems behavior was not of your liking. Usually that's how we know there is an issue when we look how hardware normally works on other systems.

I was not only bringing a specific system, since I have several dozens system with different hardware and settings. Some of them older than your 2013 system. (e.g. Biostar TH61 with i5-2500K).
I was trying to explain different factors that could cause the issue you were having, but it looks like you only read the mention of the comparison.

I have encountered that issue on the past with a Gigabyte motherboard that was failing and some settings in the BIOS were not saved...even though they appeared to be.

Hope someone here read this, and will provide answers you would like to hear.

Yes I only wanted some answers about keeping a device disabled not about how some systems have no issues regarding input lag. Thanks i know that and it makes sense and it also makes sense that some systems could be slowed down by hardware. So I want to remove unused hardware from the equation

A device becoming enabled by starting an executable is abnormal right?
This is the device in question
View: https://imgur.com/wiiQtja