[SOLVED] How do I know a CPU cooler will be enough for a Intel Core i9-10850K?

phunky_21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I've never been an overclocker, so the stock cooler has always worked for me. Seems the CPU I plan on purchasing doesn't come with a cooler at all. I don't really know how to decide if a cooler will work with my CPU. I have no plans on overclocking, so assume I am running it at base speeds.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
View: https://imgur.com/YwqWtBb

While the 10850K isn't on there, it has the same power limit and power time durations as the 10900K; it is after all, a sample that didn't quite meet the requirements to be classified as the latter.
It's important to have some cooling headroom too. So when a cooler is rated for X amount of heat, look at it as 'up to, but not exactly that amount'.

Hyper 212 Evo is a 140-150w cooler. You're gonna have to step it way up.
Stock operation, you're looking at a top tier air cooler, or 280mm or larger hybrid cooler.
All core enhancement, MCE, or any kind of overclocking - skip air, it's 360mm or larger, or custom liquid.

phunky_21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
View: https://imgur.com/YwqWtBb

While the 10850K isn't on there, it has the same power limit and power time durations as the 10900K; it is after all, a sample that didn't quite meet the requirements to be classified as the latter.
It's important to have some cooling headroom too. So when a cooler is rated for X amount of heat, look at it as 'up to, but not exactly that amount'.

Hyper 212 Evo is a 140-150w cooler. You're gonna have to step it way up.
Stock operation, you're looking at a top tier air cooler, or 280mm or larger hybrid cooler.
All core enhancement, MCE, or any kind of overclocking - skip air, it's 360mm or larger, or custom liquid.
What kind of price range is that? Can you link me to a reasonably priced option. Or maybe several options for that matter.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What kind of price range is that?
Those are not prices, but the power limits and power limit durations for the 10th gen cpus.
The 10850K has the same PL1, PL2, and Tau as the 10900K.
PL1, or Power Limit 1, is the power limit for all threads at base frequency only.
Power Limit 2 is what's allowed across all threads for Intel Turbo Boost.
Tau is the time(seconds) that the cpu is allowed to run at PL2, after which it is forced back to PL1. What it does after that depends on the kind of workload.

Can you link me to a reasonably priced option.
I don't know what your idea of reasonably priced is, so I can't answer that.

phunky_21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Those are not prices, but the power limits and power limit durations for the 10th gen cpus.
The 10850K has the same PL1, PL2, and Tau as the 10900K.
PL1, or Power Limit 1, is the power limit for all threads at base frequency only.
Power Limit 2 is what's allowed across all threads for Intel Turbo Boost.
Tau is the time(seconds) that the cpu is allowed to run at PL2, after which it is forced back to PL1. What it does after that depends on the kind of workload.

I don't know what your idea of reasonably priced is, so I can't answer that.
My idea of reasonably prices is the cheapest possible that still has decent reviews. I plan on running it stock (no overclock) so I'm just looking for it to keep it barebones. I found one for 100$ that someone said keeps their 10850k cool under load, but I'm hoping to find even lower. My build is dangerously close to budget so I'm not looking to spend a lot on CPU cooler.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you are looking at at least 200w and closer to 250w for that cpu to do it's thing!! you will need top of the line cooling to handle that. "the cheapest i can get" is not gonna cut it.

if you want to save money, get a ryzen cpu instead. then you can easily go with that 212 evo or similar priced cooler. you won't need the expensive "z" mobo and you won't need the massive psu to power it all.

it's really a no brainer at this point, even if you have to get a new mobo, you'll still save money swapping to a ryzen build and you get more performance for less money!! this is a real easy decision to make so .............

Reactions: Phaaze88
What is the make/model of your prospective case?
If the specs say 160mm, then a 160mm cooler will fit.
There is usually some wiggle room in addition.

One of the reasons why the 10th gen I9 processors are so good is that they will turbo up very high to 5.3 if you have a good cooler.
Do not scrimp on the cooler.
Better coolers will also be quieter.

Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it to it's job.
For best results, look for a case with at least two 120/140mm front intakes.
If the intakes are also filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.