[SOLVED] How do I know if all my parts will work together?When building a PC

Apr 21, 2022
I have never built a PC before, and I'd like to get started. I would like to know if my parts work together or not.

Here are my parts:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Ralston18

Titan
Start by reading the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. Carefully read any and all Notes, warnings, and other references. Details matter.

There should be some listing of all motherboard supported components along with references to MSI's website for more up-to-date information and details.

Especially with respect to the QVL (Qualified Vendors List). You should also read through the applicable Forums and FAQs. Pay attention to what is said and what is not said.

Then you must do the same for each component: read the applicable documentation, installation guides/manuals. Check websites and reviews.

Plan the build's assembly step by step double checking everything: specs, connections, configuration settings.

Make your own step by step checklist leaving nothing or to chance. Add your own notes and reminders.

Any uncertainty in your checklist should be resolved before beginning the assembly effort.

Do not be in a rush. Work in a clean neat environment with plenty of room and light. Do not force anything. Use proper tools - poorly fitting screwdrivers can easily slip and gouge into something. Do not over tighten screws.

Save all packaging and instructions. Read everything included. Check that all expected contents were included and correct.

If a component or connector does not fit or otherwise match as expected then stop. Check all again and resolve before proceeding.

If you get tired or confused - stop. Take a break. Again there should be no rush.

That all said check the following link.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-build-a-pc,5867.html

= = = =

Suggestion: Consider a higher wattage PSU with a higher rating.

The following link should be helpful:

Best Power Supplies of 2022 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Just my thoughts on the matter.

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

Reactions: YoIAmDashing

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
One way of finding out if those parts will work together is to go a PC building site. The good ones will let you select only items that are compatible with each other.

Newegg PC Builder is a good one: https://www.newegg.com/tools/custom-pc-builder

Start by selecting the CPU that you want (in your case the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz ) and then start checking to see if you other parts are recommended by them / that would work with your list (motherboard, RAM, PSU etc).

Good luck!

YoIAmDashing

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
You can use PCPP to determine compatibility. It isn't perfect, but it does work well. I would suggest going with a B550 board, and an NVME ssd, and a better quality PSU.

I agree always used PCPP. Make sure to also use a psu calculator and have at least 100-200w more than recommended. In addition, you can always send in your system to double check compatibility here.

TRENDING THREADS