[SOLVED] How do I know if an "M.2" slot is capable of NVME or not?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
I watched a video (I think it was Yes Tech City) about M.2 slots, and he said that not all M.2 slots are capable of being used for NVME SSDs. As an example, he pointed out that out of the 2 m.2 slots on the motherboard, only one was capable of being used with an NVME SSD; therefore, it is important to know which M.2 slot is capable of being used as one

I'm guessing my first go-to material should be my MOBO's manual... but can anyone clarify this information first: are some m.2 slots only capable of being used for NVME SSDs or not?

Solution
I watched a video (I think it was Yes Tech City) about M.2 slots, and he said that not all M.2 slots are capable of being used for NVME SSDs. As an example, he pointed out that out of the 2 m.2 slots on the motherboard, only one was capable of being used with an NVME SSD; therefore, it is important to know which M.2 slot is capable of being used as one

I'm guessing my first go-to material should be my MOBO's manual... but can anyone clarify this information first: are some m.2 slots only capable of being used for NVME SSDs or not?
Correct.
Some can take only an NVMe, some only a SATA III. Some can take either.
Some can only operate at a certain NVMe speed. Some can take either, but it depends on the associated CPU as to whther...

USAFRet

Titan

Correct.
Some can take only an NVMe, some only a SATA III. Some can take either.
Some can only operate at a certain NVMe speed. Some can take either, but it depends on the associated CPU as to whther it is NVMe capable, or just SATA III capable.

Now...here's a kicker - some M.2 ports can take neither. They can be used for a WiFi device.

M.2 is simply the format. A common connection type. The manufacturer can infuse it with whatever capabilities exist.

As always, the manufacturers specs are the place to look.

Solution