how do i know if cpu is DOA?

orbmc

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
have installed kaby i5-7600 to asus rog z270 gaming and believe cables are in correct places but on powering up to test all i get on some colours on the board. The cpu fan doesn't spin...

Solution
The odds of a CPU being DOA are extremely small. I would say that its far more likely that one or more of the CPU mounting pins on the motherboard is bent/broken. Check the pins for anything that looks out of place.
turn the pc off at the wall. give the system 30 seconds to drain.

turn the monitor on. wait for no signal.

wait for the monitor to jump to standby. taking a mental measurement of how long it takes for this to happen.

turn the monitor off and on again...

this time when you see no signal, quickly turn the computer on at the wall.

look at the monitor as you power on the psu.

has it jumped into standby straight away? (quicker than it did before.)

or are you still seeing no signal till the monitor normally goes into standby?.

if it takes its normal time.

turn the monitor of an on again.

turn on the computer at the front power switch.

look at the monitor. again did it immediately jump into standby?

if it immediately jumps into standby at any time then the cpu is likely dead or badly seated. Ethernet led's and fans attached to the motherboard should still start up and spin.

if the monitor stays on with no signal then just goes into standby as normal
then its likely a motherboard issue.

orbmc

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
i'm not at that stage - i've put the RAM and cpu onto motherboard and just wanted to check it was working. i've connected the psu cables - cpu cable and power - and the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan connector, but nothing happens apart from the asus light coming on in the corner of the board.

orbmc

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
do you mean ATX 24 pin main power connector? If so done that.
Before i connect everything to monitor, i thought i could just switch on to see if board and cpu were working? and when i try, only the board lights up and the cpu fan doesn't spin.