[SOLVED] How do I know if my computer can handle 3 screens?

Dec 24, 2019
Please keep in mind I don't have 3 screens BUT, my computer does handle 2 screens very well. In fact when I bought it from best buy, I purposely looked for one that could handle 2 screens. I went to best buy and they didn't help me. What do I need to do in order to figure that out?

Dec 24, 2019
that depends on the GPU and the resolution of the other screens.
it should be fine as long as you only game on one. I have been running multiple screens for 15+ years.

I think my GPU is Intel(R) HD Graphics 630. I used them for videos and live streaming, not gamming.

InvalidError

Titan
For USB adapters, you need to be aware of what type of adapter you are getting. Cheap ones are simply DP alt-mode adapters that require wiring and logic on the board to route DP output through a type-C connector. Some more expensive ones actually have their own basic GPU and enough VRAM to locally manage monitor refresh. Unless your motherboard has a type-C connector with DP pass-through, you will need a USB adapter with its own local buffer.

An alternative option is to purchase a monitor that supports DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport (MST). This will allow you to daisy chain the monitors while requiring only one DisplayPort 1.2 port from your PC. Monitor 1 will connect to the PC via DisplayPort cable. Monitor 2 will connect to Monitor 1 via DisplayPort cable. In this case, monitor 1 supports MST and has both DisplayPort input and output.

See the following link as reference:

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...isplayport-multi-stream-transport-mst?lang=en

What is the make model of your pc?
What is the make/model of your two monitors?
What is your objective in adding a third?

First, see what options you have to attach a third screen to your motherboard and the HD630 display adapter.
Look on the back of your pc and enumerate the display outputs you have.
Enumerate the inputs acceptable to your monitors.
What are you using now, and what, if any is the type of the extra port.

From a performance point of view, HD630 is reasonable capable for HD movie playback and three displays.

If you are not happy with the performance, you should be able to add in a discrete graphics card that will do the job. A GT1030 will run with any psu.