[SOLVED] How do I know if my gaming PC has liquid damage

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
So about a month ago, I bought a new pre-built gaming PC. It arrived to my house but my mom (who is OBSESSED with the coronavirus) sprayed blue alcohol disinfectant onto the box. And the box wasn't 100% sealed so I'm worried that the disinfectant might have gotten into the PC through one of the vents and damaged some components. I've been using the PC since then and I only noticed 2 issues:
  • The PC gets really slow when copying/moving large files from one of its drives to the other, it literally becomes unusable while I copy large files. I also noticed that this takes up like 90% of the RAM.
  • There's a 32bit game that doesn't run quite well but I'm suspecting this is because the game is 32bit and I'm on a 64bit system (to be more specific it's Train Simulator 2018, I have to run the 32bit version because the 64bit version doesn't work for some reason.)
The PC specs are:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
  • 2TB HDD, 480GB SSD
  • Nvidia RTX 2070
I'm assuming that if the disinfectant really did get into the PC, it would take a while for it to corrode components until eventually the PC suddenly stops working. How long after the disinfectant got into the PC will the effects of corrosion become obvious? Should I even be worried about this? Can the issues that I had with the PC be caused by liquid damage? Please let me know. Thanks!

Solution
Yeah but it's not 100% alcohol, it's not like isopropyl alcohol, so can't there be impurities that corrode the components over time? I don't know exactly how corrosion works
Isopropyl isn't pure either. It's a mixture of water and a couple other chemicals.

Unless you've been running a liquid cooler, corrosion isn't even applicable in your situation.
Alcohol is used to CLEAN PC hardware from things like oil and thermal paste.

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
That wont damage anything.

Onto the "box"? The cardboard shipping box, or the metal case?

Did you turn the PC on within 30 minutes of her spraying it?
Yes I did turn on the PC within 30 minutes of her spraying it, and by box I meant the cardboard shipping box, but it wasn't 100% sealed so it could have gotten inside the PC through the vents

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
What brand of prebuilt?
Can you link the sale thread, or more specific specs?

Perhaps run a userbenchmark and post results here?
It's not really a brand of prebuilt, it's just some local company that imports components and builds PCs and then they sell the prebuilt PC at a slightly higher cost to make a profit, and I'm not at home right now so I can't run a benchmark

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah but it's not 100% alcohol, it's not like isopropyl alcohol, so can't there be impurities that corrode the components over time? I don't know exactly how corrosion works
Isopropyl isn't pure either. It's a mixture of water and a couple other chemicals.

Unless you've been running a liquid cooler, corrosion isn't even applicable in your situation.
Alcohol is used to CLEAN PC hardware from things like oil and thermal paste.

Solution