Question How do I know if my mobo has a light (to see if it has power) and onboard video?

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
it mean it depend on the cpu.

full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Sorry bout that. I thought it was a quick enough question.
I was trying to avoid posting the issue before I knew more.
A poster here helped me pick the new psu.

Old psu had the problem of turning on and off repeatedly w/ no video
New psu installed-and everything runs, all the fans etc but it still won't post-no video. No beeps, no lights.
I asked about the 'light' to try and rule out the motherboard before I made a post here.

Corsair CV650
Windows Home 10-64
GIGABYTE GA-H97M-D3H LGA 1150 Intel(Micro Atx)
I5-4590

8gb DDR3
MSI R9 290x Gaming 4G
250 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200
Toshiba 500GB SSD

Board doesn't have integrated graphics as such but your i5 4590 should have.

If this is an ongoing issue you'd be better physically removing the 290x from the system and then trying the motherboard video output.

A 290x is the most likely thing to have crapped out there and if it has and its still fitted it may be the reason the onboard video output is still disabled.

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Board doesn't have integrated graphics as such but your i5 4590 should have.

If this is an ongoing issue you'd be better physically removing the 290x from the system and then trying the motherboard video output.

A 290x is the most likely thing to have crapped out there and if it has and its still fitted it may be the reason the onboard video output is still disabled.

I am pretty good with hardware, understanding and finding what went bad , but this thing... just when I think I have something to go off of, it changes.

And that's why I wanted to rule out the mobo immediately. Because I know the PSU is good.
Example- when I replaced the psu and ran it bare bones, it would continually run.
So, then I hooked everything up, and everything ran but wouldnt put any video up (that means not posting right?)
By run, I mean all the fans worked, case, videocard fan, chip fan.

I went back to taking stuff out and even bare bones it starts and restarts every 30 seconds. so, that changed. The only thing I can figure is that somewhere along the lines there is a short. /shrug I dont even know. Wish I had some real tools and a bench.

With the 290x removed, the onboard video still doesn't work.
I messed with the monitor while it was coming up--and something came through UEFI Bios (briefly) then it started the restart chain again.

I was trying to save myself time and at the very least rule out the mobo before I start taking everything apart.

Some of these things, I just don't know.
-if my fans all work, and that shows that the mobo is getting power---could the mobo still be messed up?
-I asked about the lights so I could rule out the mobo. Is there even a way to find out if the
-Should the Mobo be able to start without any ram at all?

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
The partial boot then restarting over and over makes me think it's a bios problem like the settings being wrong ram speed. You said you pulled everything off is the cpu fully seated with no bent pins? Also when you first had issues the computer being on for a while then suddenly shutdown and quickly restarting can crack the PCBs they expand when hot cool quickly and heat up quickly on startup.

Reactions: enderzshadow

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
The partial boot then restarting over and over makes me think it's a bios problem like the settings being wrong ram speed. You said you pulled everything off is the cpu fully seated with no bent pins? Also when you first had issues the computer being on for a while then suddenly shutdown and quickly restarting can crack the PCBs they expand when hot cool quickly and heat up quickly on startup.

The cpu was never reseated. I left that part alone. I'll check that out and if nothing is wrong, I'll reseat it, thermal paste etc.
Then what? Clear cmos? That's something I haven't done.

One person with similar problems said this in another Toms Thread
I just got off the phone with Gigabyte help support. The tech had me insure that the only thing plugged in was the CPU fan, one stick of memory. Then unplug both 24pin and 8 pin power...power supply off (O). Plug in 24pin power connector, select power supply to on (I)...then she had me power supply off...plug win the 8 pin power connector...power supply on...walla, lighted power switch. plugged in a keyboard and monitor and pushed the lighted power switch on the MB...it booted into BIOS! Hooray!

DSzymborski

Titan
I am pretty good with hardware, understanding and finding what went bad , but this thing... just when I think I have something to go off of, it changes.

And that's why I wanted to rule out the mobo immediately. Because I know the PSU is good.
Example- when I replaced the psu and ran it bare bones, it would continually run.

Actually, you don't know this; this is an improper way to make such a diagnosis. The PSU may be functioning as intended, but that it worked without a GPU doesn't eliminate the PSU as a problem. You can only tell by running the PSU with a comparable load not by seeing if it works unstressed. (Actually, to truly tell, you need some professional equipment, but this is usually enough to get a feel of the problem)

Nor is this a good PSU/GPU pairing. A 290X is an extremely power hungry GPU prone to power spikes. Pairing it with an entry-level PSU in a quality sense is a rather poor idea.

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Actually, you don't know this; this is an improper way to make such a diagnosis. The PSU may be functioning as intended, but that it worked without a GPU doesn't eliminate the PSU as a problem. You can only tell by running the PSU with a comparable load not by seeing if it works unstressed. (Actually, to truly tell, you need some professional equipment, but this is usually enough to get a feel of the problem)

Nor is this a good PSU/GPU pairing. A 290X is an extremely power hungry GPU prone to power spikes. Pairing it with an entry-level PSU in a quality sense is a rather poor idea.

Can you help me work with what I have?
I can reseat the chip.
I can use another video card that is MUCH less power hungry.
I can take it all apart and do it from the ground up.