Question How do I know if my motherboard gets power?

twan2020

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
My PC wouldnt turn on a week ago and since my monitors get no signal, not even when plugging them directly into my motherboard on the integrated cpu, I figured it was broken and bought a new one.

A new one came and I installed everything but when I turned on my pc there was nothing, no power, no leds, no fans spinning.

I removed everything except the motherboard and its plug into the psu and still nothing. If I do the same with my old presumably broken motherboard I at least see some red lights, indicating that it gets power.

I thought maybe this one came broken in the mail so I ordered another one. I also ordered a new psu (cooler master v850) incase there is an issue with that. But when plugging it into the psu again (without anything else installed on the board) there are still no leds or antything.

How do I know it gets power?

My motherboard is the mpgz490 gaming plus from msi.

20220501-130829.jpg

My old motherboard:

20220501-131002.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
There usually is a light indicating Standby Power or if the board has a isolated/segregated PCB layer for the audio, there's a trace with an underglow that only lights up when on Stand-by. You might want to parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Does the platform work when assembled atop the motherboard box?

But when plugging it into the psu again (without anything else installed on the board) there are still no leds or antything.
So you're working with just the board and PSU? No processor or ram?

twan2020

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
There usually is a light indicating Standby Power or if the board has a isolated/segregated PCB layer for the audio, there's a trace with an underglow that only lights up when on Stand-by. You might want to parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Does the platform work when assembled atop the motherboard box?

But when plugging it into the psu again (without anything else installed on the board) there are still no leds or antything.
So you're working with just the board and PSU? No processor or ram?
Yeah nothing else, I just want to see if it works before going through installing everything again and finding out in the end it still gets no power.

My pc:
CPU: i7 11700k
Motherboard: msi MPG Z490 gaming plus
Ram: fury hyperx ddr4 16gb
Ssd: samsung evo 860 1tb
GPU: GTX1060
PSU: Cooler master V850
Chassis: old cooler master tower, everything still fits.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
My PC wouldnt turn on a week ago and since my monitors get no signal, not even when plugging them directly into my motherboard on the integrated cpu, I figured it was broken and bought a new one.

A new one came and I installed everything but when I turned on my pc there was nothing, no power, no leds, no fans spinning.

I removed everything except the motherboard and its plug into the psu and still nothing. If I do the same with my old presumably broken motherboard I at least see some red lights, indicating that it gets power.

I thought maybe this one came broken in the mail so I ordered another one. I also ordered a new psu (cooler master v850) incase there is an issue with that. But when plugging it into the psu again (without anything else installed on the board) there are still no leds or antything.

How do I know it gets power?

My motherboard is the mpgz490 gaming plus from msi.

20220501-130829.jpg

My old motherboard:

20220501-131002.jpg
The power switch is not plugged in. Niether is the 12v. It will never power-up.