[SOLVED] How do i know if my motherboard is being powered?

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
My PC wont turn on when i press the power button,i think its either the power button itself or the psu or the motherboard,i have a spare psu which is working to test it,but how do i know if the motherboard is being powered?(My dad doesnt allow to change the Psu without good reasons)

Solution
Untitled.png

Well, there's suspect number one for why there was a burning smell: a PSU-shaped object that was made probably 20 years ago and probably would struggle to to power a bowl of soup safely.

Now, let's get all the rest of the information about what's going on.
My PC wont turn on when i press the power button,i think its either the power button itself or the psu or the motherboard,i have a spare psu which is working to test it,but how do i know if the motherboard is being powered?(My dad doesnt allow to change the Psu without good reasons)
Hello there!
Remove all your ram and if you hear the 'error beep' it means it has power

Reactions: SawmMawia

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
OP, one of the challenges here is that you haven't provided people any information about anything whatsoever. All we've been told is that you have some computer, on which you did something, and then something happened and there's a burning smell.

Until you provide a complete list of your specs, a step-by-step of what you were trying to do and what you did do, and a detailed description of what's going on, there's just about no chance that anyone can provide anything resembling useful advice. Nobody here is psychic; all we know about your situation is what you tell us.

RadeonR9Furry

Prominent
Jan 22, 2021
Untitled.png

Well, there's suspect number one for why there was a burning smell: a PSU-shaped object that was made probably 20 years ago and probably would struggle to to power a bowl of soup safely.

Now, let's get all the rest of the information about what's going on.
For a 450W/500W PSU, it only has 300W on the +12V rail. It almost sounds like a joke; it's a cheap PSU "MADE IN CHINA".

D

Deleted member 2720853

I am so glad I realized the importance of power supplies -- most people just don't even bother choosing a quality one since to them it's just a "box that gives power". Yeah, what could go wrong with a $20 PSU powering $2000 system?

RadeonR9Furry

Prominent
Jan 22, 2021
I am so glad I realized the importance of power supplies -- most people just don't even bother choosing a quality one since to them it's just a "box that gives power". Yeah, what could go wrong with a $20 PSU powering $2000 system?

Hmm yes let me power my gaming rig with a $30 dollar Akyga 550W PSU. Nothing will go wrong, right?

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
Ah,you guys are real funny peeps i would like it be friends with anyway the PSU came with the pc itself,everyones shoutin at me sayin BuY A BeTtER PsU! This pandemic is so annoying,i cant go out or buy stuff and yes the ram got fried with the slot itself so,yeah its over for me and also letting my dad fix it:)