[SOLVED] How do i know if my motherboard is recieving power?

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
My pc is completely dead when i press the power button,no fans spinning,no movement at all
My motherboard doesnt have an led light so i cant figure out whether its recieving power
How do i find out if its being powered?
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA H61M Sp2 B3

Solution
My pc is completely dead when i press the power button,no fans spinning,no movement at all
My motherboard doesnt have an led light so i cant figure out whether its recieving power
Look at the PSU's fan as you're turning on the system. Even if it's a PSU that doesn't turn the fan unless it's under heavy load it should briefly pulse the fan at turn on to let you know it's functioning.

If it doesn't pulse then completely remove all connectors that connect it to motherboard, GPU, drives, case fans, etc. Now try the 'paper clip' test to turn it on while again looking to see if the PSU fan pulses briefly at least. If it does now then something's likely...
I have no idea what a power unit is,can you please explainwhat it is :)
Sorry it is called your "psu" power supply unit. It is usually at the bottom of your pc and supplies power to your motherboard. 75% of power problems are due to psu failure. That would be the first thing I would check before the motherboard being the culprit.
OGC.cbbd2b8b7d03931378f0d81c272d0675

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
Sorry it is called your "psu" power supply unit. It is usually at the bottom of your pc and supplies power to your motherboard. 75% of power problems are due to psu failure. That would be the first thing I would check before the motherboard being the culprit.
OGC.cbbd2b8b7d03931378f0d81c272d0675
I am 90% sure that it is the motherboard because i swapped the psu with a working psu but it is still not turning on
I also dont see any blown or melted capacitors

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Have you checked the power button on the case? Short out the power pins on the board if that starts the PC then switch the power switch connectors with the reset switch connectors on the motherboard then just use that to start the PC.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4FOBL1c3pA

Reactions: SawmMawia
What are the rest of your specs?
Normally, you should see the cooler fan spinning when you power on.

Is this a new thing?
Or, is this a new build?

Is your wall power socket functional?
Is the power cable plugged into the power supply?
Is the on/off switch of the power supply in the on position?
Are all of the psu cables securely inserted?
...... and so on.

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
What are the rest of your specs?
Normally, you should see the cooler fan spinning when you power on.

Is this a new thing?
Or, is this a new build?

Is your wall power socket functional?
Is the power cable plugged into the power supply?
Is the on/off switch of the power supply in the on position?
Are all of the psu cables securely inserted?
...... and so on.
Nah my father has a friend who is a technician,i will just let him check my pc

Look at the PSU's fan as you're turning on the system. Even if it's a PSU that doesn't turn the fan unless it's under heavy load it should briefly pulse the fan at turn on to let you know it's functioning.

If it doesn't pulse then completely remove all connectors that connect it to motherboard, GPU, drives, case fans, etc. Now try the 'paper clip' test to turn it on while again looking to see if the PSU fan pulses briefly at least. If it does now then something's likely wrong on the motherboard...but not necessarily.

Last edited:
Reactions: SawmMawia
Solution