How do I know if my Power Supply will fit into my graphics card?

May 18, 2018
Hello, I don't know a lot about computers or the parts' names so please bare with me.
I recently bought a 1070 ti graphics card and everything went fine when I put it into my computer but a major difference from that and my old card (750 ti) is that this new graphics card requires me to plug the power supply directly into the graphics card. I have a cord with enough prongs (is that the right word?). It requires a cord with 8 prongs, but the setup of the cord isn't compatible with my graphics card. Some prongs are square and some are pentagon-looking. However, the shapes do not match up, so I cannot plug my Power Supply into my graphics card and plugging it into my Motherboard will definitely not work as this 11-inch card requires a lot of power. I've been informed the only way to fix it is to either get a new cord thing which would require me to re-wire it, which I don't plan on doing or get a new power supply. I plan on getting the power-supply but how will I know if it will fit into my graphics card?

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
Most power supplies come with those 8pin connectors. Before buying one, you can check the specification on the retailers site. For example:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-18 18:59 EDT-0400

Comes with all the required cables you'll need. Another option could be EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W.

By the way, what's the make and model of your current power supply?

4745454b

Titan
There are two 8pin plugs in a PSU. One goes to the motherboard, the other go to GPUs. (Video cards.) If the plug doesn't fit, then it's probably the "EPS" plug that needed to power the CPU. Both 8 pin plugs normally split apart. The 8pin EPS plug splits into a "4x4" set of plugs, while the 8pin GPU plugs split into a 6+2 set of plugs. They have the different squares and "pentagons" arranged in such a way so that the wrong plug won't go in the wrong spot. That's because they are wired electrically differently. If your PSU lacks the proper plugs for your new GPU you need to buy a new one. The ones suggested above are good ones.

May 18, 2018
Sorry I'm not home and do not have my specs right now, but the problem is not that I don't have an 8-pin connector. I have one that comes from the PSU, it just doesn't exactly fit into my graphics card. How can I be sure the one listed above will fit into it?
Also, I currently have a 750-watt PSU. Will downgrading to a 550-Watt make a difference?

4745454b

Titan
I have one that comes from the PSU, it just doesn't exactly fit into my graphics card.

Read my post again. There are two different types of 8pin plugs found in a modern PSU. If you really have a 750W PSU there should be at total of five 8pin plugs. One goes to the board, the other four are for GPUs.

Do you have a modular or semi modular PSU? In a semi modular PSU the plugs needed for the board are hardwired to the PSU. Extra plugs like for video cards are separate and need to be plugged in. Perhaps you need to add the plugs?

May 18, 2018
I've decided to buy the PSU mentioned above and hope that it's what I need... I read my graphics card online and it said it needs the PCIexpress or something. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm too confused lol but I got something out of it.

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
Most good power supplies come with the necessary cables. I would suggest going for a Corsair power supply that is preferably gold-certified as while it will cost a bit more it's definitely worth it for the reliability and safety. if you have any more questions I'd be glad to help.

melaxrinos

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

i wouldnt suggest the vs seris of corsair.go for an rmx corsair

DSzymborski

Titan

Corsair's RMx series is excellent The VS series is not.