[SOLVED] How do I know if my raid 1 system is working?

Scar667

Honorable
Dec 22, 2015
I installed a raid 1 system using 2 ssds for someone a long time ago and now they asked me if I can see the files on the second ssd to know if everything is working as intended, but I havent found a guide on that?

Solution
It depends on how the RAID was created. Is it a motherboard controller? A dedicated RAID card? Or Windows software mirroring?
If done in hardware, there is usually a way in the controller to see the health of the volume.
If it is a hardware controller you can probably see the health of the logical volume in the BIOS. If this were a server you would be able to see the health of the Volume in iDRAQ or iLo for example.
RAID 1 works by mirroring all the data between the drives. With RAID 1 you end up getting better (2x) read performance since data can be read from both drives at once, but only write performance of a single drive. The only way that you can see if the RAID is actually working would be to remove a drive and see if boots, then doing the same with the other drive.

kanewolf

Titan
I installed a raid 1 system using 2 ssds for someone a long time ago and now they asked me if I can see the files on the second ssd to know if everything is working as intended, but I havent found a guide on that?
It depends on how the RAID was created. Is it a motherboard controller? A dedicated RAID card? Or Windows software mirroring?
If done in hardware, there is usually a way in the controller to see the health of the volume.

If it is a hardware controller you can probably see the health of the logical volume in the BIOS. If this were a server you would be able to see the health of the Volume in iDRAQ or iLo for example.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS