How do I know if RAM stayed in X.M.P after BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hell

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Memory : Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 / 2x8 Gb / 3000MHZ

I just turned on X.M.P on my BIOS so that my Memory can run at 2993MHz instead of 2133MHz ( by default on my motherboard ). But when I check on CPU-Z (Memory Tab) it shows that my DRAM frequency is 1066MHz = 2133.

On the SPD tab in CPU-Z it clearly says that for both Ram sticks can have an XMP-2998 mode. But I don't know if it is active.

MoBo : AB350M-Gaming-3 ( Latest BIOS )
CPU : Ryzen 5 1600
GPU : Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ OC
PSU : Corsair VS550
SSD : Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb
HDD : Seagate Baracuda 1TB

neieus

Distinguished
You may need to give it some additional voltage. I have the same board and in order to get my memory to run at 3200 I had to increase the voltage to 1.4-1.45 which is perfectly safe so you may need to do something similar. I also manually set it to XMP and manually set the sub timings.

Tom Hell

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

I have just tried putting the timings in manually, but once I save & exit my computer doesn't start up again. It keeps running but nothing dislpays. I have to force it to shut down by pressing down on the power button for a bit.
When I try to reenter my BIOS, my mouse and keyboard won't naviguate it. So I have to shut my PC down again without knowing if the changes were actually saved. The only way I can get the BIOS to work again is by clearing the CMOS ( which resets all my memory timings to 2133MHz )

This is a problem only I am encounteringn and I have asked the Gigabyte tech support if they can help.

But my question at first was : How can I check my Ram speeds on my desktop ? And is CPU-Z just telling me what my Memory speeds can get to, or is it real time ?

Tom Hell

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

I set XMP to "profile 1" wich displays my RAM at 2993MHz. I want to know if these settings have been saved once I enter my desktop.

I am currently having an issue were I can't use the BIOS again once I have changed the settings but this a personnal problem with my BIOS after updating it to F4 version. This is why I want to know my Mermory speed from my desktop.

Tom Hell

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

Thank you, On task manager it is displayed that my Memory is actually running at 2133MHz. So there is a problem with my BIOS not saving changes, and then not letting me navigate the BIOS once I tried to change things.

I will see to solve this problem through the Gigabyte tech support

Bonedancer

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
You should also be able to check on Task Manager as well. Check on Performance and then Memory

Pretty cool... didn't know that. For us new to overclocking, CPU-Z isn't extremely clear. I've got my 32GB (4x8) 2133 MHz running at 3200 MHz. I can see 1600 MHz as the DRAM frequency, and XMP 3200 shows up in the timings table (SPD tab), but we beginners want a big flashing sign that says "good job, your memory is overclocked properly".

Like you said, Task Manager shows my frequency speed clearly at 3200 MHz. Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.