Question How do I know if the fan is broken?

Jan 2, 2020
Little info: I have traveled from Romania to France by car and took my semi-potato pc with me.
At home, the fan was working properly but I sadly found out that no matter what I do it won't turn on. I do not know if its because the fan broke or because the pins on the motherboard did.
How do I test if the fan works? Its on 12V but i dont wanna try it with batteries and is there a way to fix the pins on the motherboard if they are broken? P.S; The guy I bought the pc from was a dummy and installed a 2 pin fan on a 3 pin motherboard but it worked fine until we arrived in France.
Also, is it safe to use the computer if I keep the case open and the room cool?

Dec 31, 2019
Little info: I have traveled from Romania to France by car and took my semi-potato pc with me.
At home, the fan was working properly but I sadly found out that no matter what I do it won't turn on. I do not know if its because the fan broke or because the pins on the motherboard did.
How do I test if the fan works? Its on 12V but i dont wanna try it with batteries and is there a way to fix the pins on the motherboard if they are broken? P.S; The guy I bought the pc from was a dummy and installed a 2 pin fan on a 3 pin motherboard but it worked fine until we arrived in France.
Also, is it safe to use the computer if I keep the case open and the room cool?
which fan are you referring to? and if its not the cpu heatsink fan then yes keeping the case open and maybe using a desk fan to blow air into the case should be fine

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
Case fan, is nothing to worry about. If it be cpu or gpu fans then you have a problem to use a pc. Try to connect fan with another motherboard pins, to know it's working, or not. You can buy new. They are cheap everywhere.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020
Thank you for the help. I found out that the pins on the motherboard output 12V and the fan works if plugged to a 12V transformatorbutthey dont work togheter