Question How do I Know RAM's Compatibility with Motherboard?

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hey...

How do I check if specific RAM is compatible with motherboard?
I remember a while ago there was a tool on RAM manufacturers'
websites to help match their RAM to specific motherboard but
I no longer see it is the case nowadays.

For example I am interested in these RAM modules:

- G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB

- Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB

How to check whether they match the following motherboards?

- Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE

- ASUS PRIME B450M-A

Amazon's memory matching tool is not of much of help.

Thanks.

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Thanks, now I know where to look.

What if RAM module is not on the list of supported modules?

Do you know what is the probability of that RAM module still matching the motherboard?

Here is the G.Skill QVL for F4-3600C19D-32GVRB

RAM Configurator can be used to see which memory kits are certified for a motherboard.

G.Skill certified means XMP / rated specs of a memory kit have been tested capable on the motherboard.

If not listed, the RAM may still work, but XMP may not be achievable, need to run at a lower frequency, or the combination has not been tested.

Reactions: 13thmonkey

hharriswilliam

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Thanks, now I know where to look.

What if RAM module is not on the list of supported modules?

Do you know what is the probability of that RAM module still matching the motherboard?

If it is not listed, you simply run the risk of instability or MOBO issues with overclocking to the RAM's advertised speeds. Just stick to referring to the QVLs.

basicly when ram hits production its usualy tested on current platforms (mostly high end mobos, with few ram kits exceptions for 2slot mini itx/atx)

on g skill if u look up product page, u can see tons of ram types, anything recent is called here (for AMD)
in QVL on those sticks u can see compatibility on X570/Z370/Z390 boards (for clocks above 3200MHz) x370/x470 are up to 3200MHz
non AMD are older for Z170/Z270 with unknown compatibility for x370/x470

patriot website doesnt have much info here, but as far as webpage says, viper 4 blackout and viper rgb says its intel and amd compatible