How do I know the difference between an OEM CPU and retail?

Advice Pro

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
On eBay I might find a good deal on CPUs and even if the seller claims that the item is retail, then how do I tell the difference? Is the box marked difference? I don't want to mistakenly get an OEM well I think that they probably aren't as good as retail.

Both AMD and Intel provide a three year warranty with their retail boxed processors. Neither company applies the same retail three year warranty with their OEM processors purchased from Newegg, for example. The OEM warrantys offered by both AMD and Intel appears to have changed in recent months and their websites do not provide detailed information as to the exact OEM warranty provisions, so the exact details are not entirely clear concerning length of warranty. Best to email or call the company and ask what their OEM warranty consists of presently including the warranty time limitations. AMD refused to allow me their warranty service after 30 days from a Newegg purchase. In fact, AMD support told me last year there was no warranty on a processor purchased from Newegg other than what Newegg offered. This may have changed.

Intel

AMD

TRENDING THREADS