How do I know when to upgrade my case/tower/enclosure?

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I've had a Antec Performance Plus 1080 AMG for 12 years or so. I have since replaced the power supply. It's not broken or anything, but it makes me wonder if I'm missing out on anything by not having a new case. Or is a case the type of thing that you keep until your house catches fires? Below is a link for my case. Thanks.

Newegg

Antec

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/antecplus1080/

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/antecplus1080amg/

Gotta give you props for linking plenty of information on the case lol

Cases are largely just aesthetic, so if you like the look, you're probably good. The only real factor in performance a case can have is having sufficient airflow, but if you're not noticing high temperatures, then that's not a problem. If you like the case, stick with it, no reason to upgrade (unless, again, you have cooling issues), but if you want something different, by all means!

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Yeah...I can't say I need a new case.

well I use this old antec sx635, and new builds go right in it today

gave it a new auto quality paint job a few years back replaced a fan or two but looking at the crap that's out there now its hard to put it aside

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Lol, I might have gone overboard with the links.

And yeah, while I prefer the look of newer cases, I don't like them enough to drop money on them. More importantly, even if I were to buy a new case I still would keep the old one. The thought of having two desktop cases with the little room that I have...no thanks. But if new cases provide 120% more airflow (I made that up), then I'd consider it.

Maybe your case could passed down from generation to generation :).

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Lol. At this rate that's what it's looking like.

OK, col.

looking at some pic's of his and mine they look close but I must say his looks easyer to work with and if I had it and the quality of it matched this 635 I'd be happy to use it today .. after the new paint job I did on it, it looked like I just took it out of the box new [it was due I wanted a nicer color then what it came with]