How do I know which graphics card are compatible with my computer

Graham-b

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
My gpu is dead and I am unable to play games on my computer so I need to upgrade my gpu, but I am lost on what to get and what you need to know about upgrading a gpu, My budget is 100-150€ (135-200$)
I have a dell xps 8300 it's a few years old but still runs great the spec are

INTEL CORE I7-2600 PROCESSOR

MEMORY : 8192MB (2X4096) 1333MHZ DDR3 DU

GRAPHICS : 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 530

PSU: D460AD-00 (460w)

If there is anymore info u need to know on my computer just ask,
Thanks for any help that you can give

Solution
You could go for a R9 270x or 270 which are within your price range. This should give the best performance for your price range but your PSU is 40 watts below the minimum recommended power for the cards, which with an older PSU could be a bit worrying. You will also need to be sure that your PSU has enough axillary power connectors for the card (1-2 6-pin PCI-e depending on card).

The Gtx 750ti has high performance per watt, so it will be almost guaranteed to work on your PSU, no auxillary power connections needed (for reference cards, some OC cards require 1 6-pin PCI-e). R9 270 is roughly the same price and gives better performance however.

So my recommendation would be:

Replacing PSU-> 270x or 270

Keeping PSU-> 750ti

Quick...

SHODAN355

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
You could go for a R9 270x or 270 which are within your price range. This should give the best performance for your price range but your PSU is 40 watts below the minimum recommended power for the cards, which with an older PSU could be a bit worrying. You will also need to be sure that your PSU has enough axillary power connectors for the card (1-2 6-pin PCI-e depending on card).

The Gtx 750ti has high performance per watt, so it will be almost guaranteed to work on your PSU, no auxillary power connections needed (for reference cards, some OC cards require 1 6-pin PCI-e). R9 270 is roughly the same price and gives better performance however.

So my recommendation would be:

Replacing PSU-> 270x or 270

Keeping PSU-> 750ti

Quick addendum. After reading some similar topics, based on Clutchc's advice it may be possible that your BIOS may not allow certain cards due to the fact that your PC is prebuilt by Dell. May be worth call Dell tech support to be sure. If Clucthc posts he can probably give you more information, or check out some of the other more recent posts on this forum.

Solution

Graham-b

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Hey Thank you for getting back to me.
I not very good with computer and am not sure what 6pin PCI-e is,( is it the 2 extra wire coming from my psu that are not being used?)
The gtx 750 ti looks good for the price and to be honest I don't really have the cash to upgrade the psu, but thank you for giving me options on what I can do,
I going to look around and see if I can find out about the BIOS compatibly

Do either of those wires end in a six pin plug?

Graham-b

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
They are coming out from the psu and have a yellow and black cable coming out from them and have 6 female connections on each one of them(they are not connected to anything)

TRENDING THREADS